none
Services.msc lists Windows Search as "Starting" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running on Windows Server 2016 Standard and got the same issue with John Selma on his thread in Microsoft Windows forum with title "Services.msc lists Windows Search as 'Starting' --- stays there forever"

Here I quote his thread since I can't post an URL link in this thread :

##

I'm running Windows 10.  I first noticed a problem clicking on the "This PC" folder.  The resulting display is mostly blank, except for the moving green bar and the phrase "working on it".  Same result if I click on the "Network" icon. 

I ran services.msc and saw that "Windows Search" was listed as "Starting".  It stays there forever and never advances to "running".  All options such as "restart" are grayed out.  Startup type is set as Automatic (Delayed start).

I ran sfc /scannow 3 times and it didn't find any problems.

I ran msconfig, disabled Windows Search, rebooted and "This PC" works as it should, although of course that means I'm running without the search service.  Re-enabling Windows Search and rebooting puts me back where I began with Windows Search stuck at "Starting" and "This PC" "working on it".

I can't think of anything significant that occurred between the last time "This PC" worked and the first time it didn't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

##

I can't get troubleshoot as He did because no Troubleshoot feature built into Windows Server 2016.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Because it's affect the client PC too. When search files from client PC which stored in Server, the search takes too long and sometimes can't get the results.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Danie1zhou,

Sorry for late reply. I've found the way to fix the issue in my server. I've removed Windows Search Service from Server Manager and re-install it. Now the Service status not stuck in "Starting" but "Running". I've checked the search performance from client PC too, and there is no problem. Also the Windows Explorer in Server can works normally.

Thank you for your help. 

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:43 AM

All replies

• This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.
    If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your waitting!

1.Please try to log in with another account to see if it has the same issue.

2.Please uninstall AV software and disable firewall.

3.Try to run SFC and DISM command to fix your server

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/sfc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism

4. Try to manually Reset Windows Search and Rebuild the Index:

1. Start the Registry Editor regedit.exe and go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search
    2. Change the registry value SetupCompletedSuccessfully data from 1 to 0, and restart the Windows Search service.
    The above registry change SetupCompletedSuccessfully = 0 causes Windows Search to clear custom indexed locations, add default locations and rebuild the index from scratch.
    3. Exit the Registry Editor.
    4. To apply the changes, restart Windows Search service via Services MMC console

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi Danie1zhou,

Sorry for late reply. I've found the way to fix the issue in my server. I've removed Windows Search Service from Server Manager and re-install it. Now the Service status not stuck in "Starting" but "Running". I've checked the search performance from client PC too, and there is no problem. Also the Windows Explorer in Server can works normally.

Thank you for your help. 

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Great! Please don't foget mark the useful replies as answers.

Thanks,

Daniel

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:02 AM