none
office online server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

We are working on migrating from SP2013 to SP2016

Current Set up:

we have 2 domains . Domain A (Internal users only) , Domain B (Internal and external users). There is selective trust between these domains. Servers are created only in Domain A . 

There are two URL's for the web app , one with windows Authentication and other with ADFS (External Domain B users). We always use ADFS URL for everything. 

New SP 2016 architecture. 

we will be using default 4 min role servers. As stated above all the servers are in Domain A including office online server.

1. When I am creating the office online farm I was wondering if it is safe to include FQDN in URL as below . What is the best practice to create URL considering this name will show up in the URL when users open a word doc in a browser. 

New-OfficeWebAppsFarm -InternalURL “http://<FQDN of the server> -ExternalUrl “https://<FQDN of the server>” -CertificateName <Friendly Name of the Certificate> -EditingEnabled

2. As it is stated in the microsoft docs that "Office Online Server must reside in the same Active Directory forest as its users as well as any external data sources that you plan to access using Windows-based authentication."

In SharePoint 2013 we heavily use excel services . Now when we migrate to SP2016, there is no excel service and only OOS server. Considering the statement above about servers and AD, will our external users logging in with ADFS be able to open these excel webparts ?

Thank you

@R

@R

• Edited by youlearn Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:42 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would personally just specify an -ExternalUrl value with a valid DNS A record and SSL certificate. As far as Excel is concerned, external data sources require Kerberos Constrained Delegation -- meaning that the user needs a Kerberos ticket, something you will only receive when using Windows authentication. Not all interaction with Excel files will require KCD, only when the data source is external to the Excel file (such as an Excel file displaying data from a connection to a SQL database).

You can open an Excel document in OOS without a KCD configuration.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Trevor, 

That is exactly what we do,, display data on excel web part from a SQL server  data source using SSRS. 

Considering our architecture where external users are in Domain B and only use ADFS to login does SP 2016 with office online will work for us?

Will our external users be able to open excel webparts when we migrate to SP 2016

@R

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:59 PM
  • Hi youlearn,

Office online server is configured in Domain A, so users in Domain B need to add Domain B to OOS to use office online.

You can use the following command:

New-SPWOPIBinding -ServerName <OOSServerhostname>

More information:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jijoseph/2018/03/02/oos-integration-with-sharepoint-server-20132016/

In addition, you can also refer to this similar situation below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/51fbafa9-2913-4cfb-922d-4f535679dd03/connect-multiple-sp-farms-to-office-online-server-oos-farm?forum=SP2016

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:16 AM
  • Hi ,

Has the problem been solved?

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 6, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Hi ,

I'm still paying attention to this issue.

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Looking forward to your update on this issue.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Monday, September 9, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hello Itch, 

I ran in to certificate issues while creating the farm with https. I have to go through bunch of hoops to get that solved. 

Till then I can not create the OOS farm. Please bear with me . I will definitely get back with the steps I used to resolve. 

Thank you for your patience. 

@R

Friday, September 13, 2019 2:47 PM
  • Hi ,

If you have any questions, you can update them at any time.

Looking forward to your update on this issue.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:21 AM
  • Hello Itch,,

The certificate has been created and I am working on URL to be approved. 

SharePoint site : ABC.websitedomain.com 

server name : server.domain.com

URL: oos.websitedomain.com  (Will be pointing on external DNS to the Office online server)

My query will be 

New-OfficeWebAppsFarm -InternalURL “https://oos.websitedomain.com -ExternalUrl “https://oos.websitedomain.com” -CertificateName <Friendly Name of the Certificate> -EditingEnabled

I only need one URL for OOS. Right now I am trying to make my Sharepoint site work with basic NTLM windows authentication. Later I will figure out Kerberos and ADFS. 

Does this make sense 

Thank you very much for the support

@R

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:54 PM
  • You only need to specify the -ExternalUrl value. As long as SharePoint can resolve oos.websitedomain.com to the OOS server and connect over tcp/443, that should work.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by youlearn Monday, October 7, 2019 4:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:26 PM
  • So my command would be 

New-OfficeWebAppsFarm  -ExternalUrl “https://oos.websitedomain.com” -CertificateName <Friendly Name of the Certificate> -EditingEnabled

Please let me know if this is wrong 

Thank you

@R

@R

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:17 PM
  • That would be correct.

Trevor Seward

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:22 PM
  • Hi youlearn,

If there is any progress, you can update it at any time.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:25 AM
  • Thanks Trevor. 

As our webapp is externally accessible I am working with network team setting up VIP. 

I will get back when its resolved. 

Thank you for your support. 

@R

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:28 PM
  • Hello, Update on OOS farm is as below.

I was able to create the OOS farm and also run binding on the SharePoint. When I try to create a new excel in a library I get the error below. When I try to open the existing documents (word,excel)  I get the same error . 

I followed instructions here and verified that I have the syndicate bindings created. I am not sure what else to do . Please help

@R

Monday, October 7, 2019 3:37 PM
  • I was able to fix this issue by adding the SharePoint site URL in the host file on OOS server. 

As SharePoint site is not published on the DNS yet I was getting seeing this error. 

Thank you for all the responses . I really appreciate help. 

@R

@R

Monday, October 7, 2019 4:41 PM