none
Obtaining Hang Seng Index from the Stocks module RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Excel for Mac, version 16.30 (always updated to the latest version)

I can easily obtain stock quotes all index members of the Dow Jones, Hang Seng Index, Swiss Market Index. Also to retrieve the index quotes for DJIA, S&P500, DAX, etc. is not an issue at all.

Obtaining the quote for the Hang Seng Index itself I haven't figured out for a couple of months already.

“HSI” returns "H.I.S. Co Ltd (OTCM:HISJF)” “Hang Seng” returns “No results found for Hang Seng” “^HSI” returns results such as H-Source Holdings, etc.

I have reached out to Microsoft calling the hotline in Shanghai, approaching Microsoft through its Facebook page in Hong Kong, but all failed, as I believe the support team fails to grasp the question (what is a stock, what is an index, etc).

Also requests to speak to technical person with knowledge of the Stocks module remains unanswered.

How is best to approach Microsoft to have this resolved?

Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you get the Hang Seng Index?

Did this problem appear recently?

Can you access Hang Seng Indexes Website?

Did you need to use VPN to connect to the Internet?

If this problem only appear recently, I suggest you refer to this support article and try the method:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-go-back-to-office-2016-for-mac-15-xx-versions-from-16-xx-e88ed6c8-6fb4-40a1-9540-529000d3d20f

Please be a bit more precise to explain your problem or you can upload a screenshot so that I can get more accurate solutions to this problem. I’m glad to help and follow up your reply.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Dear Mrs. Zhang,

Thanks for your offer to help.

I can share the exact Excel sheet which allows you to see the problem. Let me how this is done best to let you have it.

The problem is actually described very precise:

- MS Excel, Data, Stocks

- Can obtain multiple index quotes, can obtain Hang Seng Index members (aka consistuents)

- usual search terms for Hang Seng Index return unrelated search results

“HSI” returns "H.I.S. Co Ltd (OTCM:HISJF)” “Hang Seng” returns “No results found for Hang Seng” “^HSI” returns results such as H-Source Holdings, etc.

In response to your questions:

1) How did you get the Hang Seng Index? -> I did not get it yet. I want to obtain this through MS Excel / Data / Stocks module

2) Can you access Hang Seng Indexes Website? -> Certainly I can access the website, but this is not necessary to do so (for example: there is no need to access the NASDAQ website in order to obtain the quote  MS Excel / Data / Stocks module. Just enter the search term NASDAQ)

3) Did you need to use VPN to connect to the Internet? -> No. I am connecting from Hong Kong without any restrictions

4) If this problem only appear recently -> this is not a problem that appears only recently. This has never worked.

Warm regards,

TB

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi TB,

I suggest you give a feedback to Excel for Mac UserVoice forum:

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac

This is a way for users provide feedback about problem when using Excel for Mac problem.

The Product engineer may check this behavior in Excel for Mac.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Dear Emi,

Thanks for looking into this.

Actually the item I bring to your attention is not an additional feature request, but a bug / error reported.

There is a simple description:

"if it is possible to retrieve the DJIA, DAX and SMI quotes, then it should be also possible for HSI. Even more so when all the individual constituents of the HSI can easily be retrieved".

Any of your colleague who has knowledge of the stock markets will understand this problem reported easily.

Before I had reached out to you, I already listed this in excel.uservoice.com

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/39030604-obtaining-hang-seng-index-from-the-stocks-module

I hope that someone can really look into this problem and not refer me again to general tutorial websites, or elsewhere.

Warm regards,

TB

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:53 AM