none
Users cannot set retention policy

Question

• Hello Technet

We have an Exchange 2016 on-prem server.
    The users want to be able to set their own retention policy in outlook and webmail.

The option is not there.
    I made some custom retention tags and set them in the default retention policy.
    But the users cannot choose to set a retention policy on any of their folders.

I have enabled users to see retention tags in the Default Role Assignment Policy
    Still not showing up.

I'm starting to wonder if its not made to work like this.

I have office365 and i see the option without any setup

Friday, May 10, 2019 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>The option is not there.

Do you mean all retention policies are invisible in Outlook and OWA, or just the custom retention tags you set?

Please note that the Default MRM Policy is automatically applied to new users in Exchange Online. In on-premises organizations, the policy is applied when you create an archive for the mailbox.

If you don't have an archive for user mailboxes, you can try manually assign the Default MRM Policy to all users. See Apply a retention policy to mailboxes in Exchange Server for more details.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 13, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

The outlook and owa clients have no way of seeing/setting any retention policy.
    The users want to do it themself.

In my own office365 mailbox, i have no problem choosing what i want:

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:59 AM
  • >>I made some custom retention tags and set them in the default retention policy.

May I know what type of retention tags you added to the default retention policy? Please note that only personal tags are visible to users.

Besides, as I stated before, comparing to Office 365 mailboxes, in on-premises Exchange server, the Default MRM Policy is applied when you create an archive for the mailbox, which means if you don't have archive enabled for users' mailboxes, you will need to manually apply the Default MRM Policy to all users, so that they can see the personal tags included in this retention policy.

Besides, retention policy requires specific Outlook licenses and either a Microsoft Exchange Online account or a Microsoft Exchange Server License with a Microsoft Exchange Server Client License (CAL). You may have a look at this article: Outlook license requirements for Exchange features and see whether the requirements are met.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:33 AM
  • Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that we can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Steve Fan 

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Any update here? Have you got an opportunity to check the above information? Please don't hesitate to post back if have any further query here.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, May 27, 2019 2:42 AM