none
The selected term set is already used by another site

Question

• Hi all,

I have two Site Collections. I have created a "Global Navigation" term set for navigation. When I try to select this as the term set within Navigation on the second Site Collection it states:

"The selected term set is already used by another site. Before proceeding you should go to the navigation setting of the other site and deselect the term set"

If I do that, I will have to go to each site to create navigation. I can pin terms, but this is very limited functionality. Shouldn't I be able to create a central term set to manage my navigation across Site Collections?

Kelly

Personal Blog: http://thebitsthatbyte.com

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Kelly,

Unfortunately in SP 2013, a termset can only be used by a single site collection for navigation. This is a known limitation. There is no out of the box way to use a central termset to manage navigation across site collections. You need to develop a custom sitemap provider to do that.

Another way to do this is to create termset for each site collection and reuse/pin the terms from the central termset instead of creating duplicate terms. You can script this easily using Powershell. This has some limitations though.

Also, you can try little customization. Follow this link -

http://www.mavention.com/blog/building-global-navigation-sharepoint-2013

Narahari

******If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful*******

• Marked as answer by Kelly Rusk Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Kelly,

Unfortunately in SP 2013, a termset can only be used by a single site collection for navigation. This is a known limitation. There is no out of the box way to use a central termset to manage navigation across site collections. You need to develop a custom sitemap provider to do that.

Another way to do this is to create termset for each site collection and reuse/pin the terms from the central termset instead of creating duplicate terms. You can script this easily using Powershell. This has some limitations though.

Also, you can try little customization. Follow this link -

http://www.mavention.com/blog/building-global-navigation-sharepoint-2013

Narahari

******If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful*******

• Marked as answer by Kelly Rusk Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Thanks. I normally pin terms, but this confirms what I thought. Thanks for the link.

Personal Blog: http://thebitsthatbyte.com

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:20 PM
  • I understand that term sets can't be used across site collections but I can't even use the term set I created at the top site of my site collection in a first level subsite of the same site collection?When I try to choose the term set it says "The selected term set is already used by another site". Do I have to copy the term set to a new, differently named term set for each subsite? If so, this feature is pretty useless since i have about 20 subsites in the site collection and every time I make a change I would have to copy it to 20 term sets in order to keep them the same. . .

Any ideas?

Kathryn

Kathryn Birstein, Senior SharePoint Architect

Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:35 AM
  • In our envrionment we have more than 100,000 site collections. look & feel of all site collections are similar, will i have to create more than 100,000 term-sets for navigation?

Amit - Our life is short, so help others to grow.....

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click ♥Vote As Helpful♥ And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click ♥Mark As Answer♥

Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hi Kathryn,

For any of the subsites to use the navigation of the parent site, use the setting "<label for="ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_globalNavSection_ctl02_inheritTopNavRadioButton">Display the same navigation items as the parent site" in your subsite navigation settings. That should make it inherit the navigation properly. I have tested this upto 4 levels and it works fine.</label>

Narahari

******If a post answers/helps your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and/or "Vote as Helpful*******

Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Hi Narahari,

You are right but I couldn't get it to work until I deleted the site collection )Team site with publishing turned on) and started it over again.

Then I created one website below the top site, "HR", using the option to "use the save navigation as the parent site" when I created it.

Then I went to Top Site, Navigation and chose the Managed Navigation and created a term set and created a three terms, one for Home, one for HR and one for an external URL.

Then I went to the 1st level site, "HR", and I didn't see the top navigation that I had created. Then I went to "Navigation" in Settings in the "HR" site. The "inherit from parent" option was greyed out indicating it was selected. But it wasn't until I ACTUALLY CLICK "OK". that I saw the top navigation terms in the "HR" site!

Before, when I didn't see the terms in immediately so I chose "Managed Navigation" and tried to select the term set, and THAT'S when I got the error. . .

So the secret is to click the "OK" button even though, logically, you shouldn't have to. Typical SharePoint buggy stuff!

Kathryn

Kathryn Birstein, Senior SharePoint Architect

Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:23 AM
  • Experienced the same issue.

I have a site collection with Metadata Navigation and tried to set up a sub-site to display the navigation as parent. That had produced an error about breaking navigation etc. How strange? Then I noticed that whatever setting I checked on that sub-site- I received the same error: 'The selected term is already used by another site: <site_collection>'.

I could not afford to re-create a site collection nor sub-site so I had to amend Narahari's solution, that is refreshing navigation setting on a subsite.

All you have to do is to add additional link to the Current Navigation (link or header, whatever) and click OK. Once applied, come back to the navigation settings page on a sub-site and re-set it again to inherit navigation from parent (Parent is using Metadata Navigation) and click OK. No errors and sub-site inherits metadata navigation. Hope this helps...

• Edited by Lukas_UK Friday, November 22, 2013 1:38 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 1:05 PM
  • To me this is a huge oversight with sharepoint. Their term sets are a nightmare and horribly confusing to work with. I'm honestly about to remove my navigation and just manage it through custom html and js in the master page. 

I would urge MS to look at the way Wordpress handles their navigation.  The implementation is much easier, less buggy, and allows for easy embedding through any part of the site. They must know this since their blogs even started adopting WP. 

I would love to see a CMS that merges wordpress' ease of use for theming, nav, etc and sharepoints document and permission, workflow abilities. 

• Edited by CaseyGovero Wednesday, November 16, 2016 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:57 PM
  • I am facing the same issue in SharePoint 2016 , seems this is not fixed yet. two different site collection cannot use the same Term Set .

I have to create term-set site collection wise and then sub site can inherit the navigation from site collection.

• Edited by a_bohra Monday, July 3, 2017 1:46 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:17 AM