Outlook 2010 "New Data File" query RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up Outlook 2010 for the first time. When manually configuring my e-mail accounts it asks if I want to direct new messages to the New Outlook Data File or an Existing Outlook Data File. I normally transfer my existing .pst file between desktop and laptop to keep all my mail and contacts intact. Is the 2010 data file a different format than 2007? Which of these options should I select? Thanks Phil
    PhilG
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• they are the same. you could choose to create a new file, then import from old PST, or mount/connect both.

Don
    • Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Monday, February 28, 2011 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, March 7, 2011 1:42 AM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:35 AM

All replies

• they are the same. you could choose to create a new file, then import from old PST, or mount/connect both.

Don
    • Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Monday, February 28, 2011 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, March 7, 2011 1:42 AM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Thanks Don. I have done this. For anyone else who needs multiple accounts in Outlook 2010 beware that, when setting up each account, you need to link it to your existing Outllok.pst file rather than creating a new file. Otherwise you will end up with a .pst file for each account. Whilst this may be advantageous to some by keeping personal email separate from work e-mail for example, in my case I just want a single place to store all incoming mail regardless of which account it comes into.
    PhilG
    Monday, March 7, 2011 1:54 AM