none
SharePoint 2013 Compatibility with Office 2016

Question

• I have not been able to find any specific articles addressing SharePoint 2013 compatibility with Office 2016.  If you know of some, please add them to this post, thank you.  We are planning to deploy a new user workstation image that includes Office 2016, and our primary records management and collaboration system is SharePoint 2013, which we don't intend to upgrade for at least a year.  We need to know how to implement compatibility.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2016 3:34 PM

Answers

• Opening Excel docs is not an issue here. The only area I could see with potential issues would be Excel PowerPivot, that is not something I've tested.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 5:53 PM

All replies

• The main concern with regards to compatibility is needing SharePoint Designer and/or InfoPath.

Designer is a separate download and will not have a 2016 release.

InfoPath was re-released as a standalone download.

Another major concern is the lack of the Document Information Panel. As this was an InfoPath ActiveX control, it has been removed. What this means is that users need to use the backstage (File -> Info) to populate document metadata. If you use DIP functionality, I'd strongly recommend passing this by your users prior to deployment of O16.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 4:54 PM
  • We're finding in early testing that Excel 2016 spreadsheets stored in a SharePoint 2013 folder simply do not open.  We haven't yet engaged Word 2016 testing, but I'm concerned about OWA 2013 supporting Office 2016 documents.  And then there's Excel Calculation Service: this also needs testing.  Any experience in this area?

Correction: our testers can open office 2016 documents; they just can't export a SharePoint 2013 list as a spreadsheet when Office 2016 is installed.

Additional notes: we will be engaging more rigorous testing in the next few weeks.  Please keep this post open, as I will be reporting our results to this post.

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Opening Excel docs is not an issue here. The only area I could see with potential issues would be Excel PowerPivot, that is not something I've tested.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Testing has confirmed that Windows 7 users experience an error when attempting to export SharePoint 2013 lists to Excel if Microsoft Office 2016 is installed. On the other hand, Windows 10 users are able to successfully export SharePoint 2013 lists to Excel if Office 2016 is installed.  Thus, our testing has found that this combination causes problems:

• Windows 7
    • Office 2016
    • SharePoint 2013

This error is reproducible.

UPDATE 03/03/16

• Further testing found that this experience was due to having both Microsoft office 2010 and 2016 on the same machine.  Once Office 2010 was removed, exporting from SharePoint 2013 lists to Microsoft Excel 2016 was accomplished without issue.
    • It had somehow to do with how Windows configured shortcuts.  The test machine had originally been configured with Office 2010 on Windows 7.  Office 2016 was then installed onto this machine, leaving Office 2010 still installed.  At this point, attempting to launch any Office application using the existing shortcuts failed.
    • After uninstalling Office 2010, clicking any Office 2016 application link launched Office 2016 configuration.  After this completed, clicking an Office link launched the appropriate Office 2016 application; and exporting SharePoint 2013 lists to Excel 2016 occurred without issue.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Trevor -

correct: it's not opening Excel 2016 documents but exporting SharePoint 2013 lists to Excel 2016 installed on Windows 7 that is the issue.  This issue is of concern to us in that the customer organization does not plan to roll out Windows 10 for at least a year, but is proceeding with rolling out Office 2016 within the next 6 months.  Thus, there will be a period during which the user image base will be Windows 7 and Office 2016.  Therefore, I need to find a solution to the export problem for this interim period.

Monday, February 29, 2016 4:40 PM
  • I've noticed that there may be a limitation with SharePoint 2013 calendars and Office 2016 Outlook. I noticed that users can see the calendar edits from SharePoint. However if a user edits a calendar event or creates a new event the changes do not reflect to the connected SharePoint calendar. 

Has anyone else tried testing with the calendars?

Friday, September 09, 2016 7:13 PM
  • Here is another incompatibility issue where you cannot restore old version from Office 2016. But there is a solution. See this thread for detail:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/e5cfb0eb-1f4f-4992-aea2-8bc1f9439c48/unable-to-restore-document-from-within-excel

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 3:36 PM