none
Communication History disappeared in BCM 2010

Question

• Windows 7 (64K), Office Pro 2010 (32K), & BCM Installed Office 2010 middle of last week and everything converted properly from 2007. I've been using BCM steadily ever since and it has been running flawlessly. Earlier today however, after linking a file to BCM, the History window went blank except for the words Communication History at the very top. I saw some posts on social.answers.microsoft where 5 or 6 users had a similar problem. However, there were no responses from Microsoft. What do I need to do to get History back? Ken
    Ken Kimbrough
    Monday, November 08, 2010 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Ken,

When you select Communications History, does the Status Bar in the lower left corner of Business Contact Manager show an the item count?

If it shows a Number besides 0, go to the View menu, then select Change View and try changing the folder view to another setting.

If the number shows 0, can you check the Business Contact Manager Deleted Items folder for the missing items? To do that, hit Control+6. Then scroll down and expand the Business Contact Manager Tree. There is a separate Deleted Items folder for Business Contact Manager. Are the missing items in that folder?

Thank you,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Abdias,

If I go to History from an Account the screen is essentially blank except for the words Communications History at the top.  No record count information is displayed.  When accessing History from within a Business Contact record the screen is the same as viewed from Accounts except that an icon with the contacts name is displayed at the bottom left.  

If select History from within the Business Contact Manager Dashboard all of the history is displayed and an item count of about 5,800 is displayed.  This leads me to believe that the data is there, and suggests that a link/chain has been broken between the dataset and the History application (?).  

I checked the Delete folder and there are some links to files that had been in History, but nothing on the order of the 5,800 in the History I mentioned above. The most recent record in the Delete folder is from mid-October so the answer to your question is no.

I restored one of the deleted records, but it would not display when I checked the record where it should have been.

Ken

Ken Kimbrough
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thank you for the details. If you select the Communications History Folder and then go to the View Tab, does changing the view make a difference (go to View | Change View, then pick one of the other options available)?

If that does not, if you go to the View Tab, and then select View Settings. There is an button labeled Filter. Is there a filter set or does it say “Off”?

If the above does not help, can you include links to screenshots of the Communications History Folder? If there is some private information, you can send them to me at cts-aruiz at live dot com.

Thanks!

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Abdias,

I tried the suggestions but nothing has changed.  I just emailed screen captures for you to review.   I really appreciate your help and interest.

Ken

Ken Kimbrough
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Hi

Thank you for the screenshots

Have you customized any of the  Business Contact Manager Forms?  If so can you try one of the following?

1.       Backup your Form Customizations by going to File > Business Contact Manager > Import and Export > Export to a File.  Choose the option for Business Contact Manager Customization (with a file type of .bcmx)

2.       Open an Account

3.       Click the “Form Layout “ button on the ribbon

4.       On the Customize Ribbon, click “Show” and Select History From the options

5.       Click the “Add Fields” Button

6.       On the Add Fields Dialog, is “Communications History” an option?  If so, can you click “Add to Form”

7.       Save the changes

Does the above help to resolve the problem?

If not, can you try the following

1.       Backup your Form Customizations by going to File > Business Contact Manager > Import and Export > Export to a File.  Choose the option for Business Contact Manager Customization (with a file type of .bcmx)

2.       Open an Account

3.       Click the “Form Layout “ button on the ribbon

4.       Click “Restore Default”  IMPORTANT – this will reset any Form Customizations!

Does this help to reset the form?

For more information on form customization:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bcm/archive/2009/08/26/bcm-2010-customization-101-form-customization.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/create-and-customize-record-types-and-lists-HP010262518.aspx#_Toc252810003

Jahawk MSFT

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Did not find Communication History as an option, so I went to the next step.  Before I Restore Default, does the Restore Default mean that it will restore the defaults to all Form Customizations or just the Comm. History? 

If it restores all of the customizations to default is there a way to recover them from the export without wiping out the Comm History form that I just restored?

Ken

Ken Kimbrough
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Selecting Restore Defaults will reset all customization for the selected form Type (ex..  selecting Restore Default on an Account Form will reset All Account Customizations)

If you back up your Form Customizations into a .BCMX file, you can Restore Defaults, and then reimport the Customization file to bring back your form customizations – however if the source of the problem with the Communication History is with the customizations, then this might reintroduce the problem

One way to verify whether customization is the source of the problem is to  Export your form customizations into a .BCMX file, switch to a test/blank Database and then import the file .BCMX file into that database and see if the problem persists

Lastly, before making any changes, I would also backup your Database.  That can be done through the File > Business Contact Manager and then the Backup Option

Thanks!

Jahawk MSFT

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Jahawk,

I tried opening the Sample database and then opened the History section and it was still blank.  I noticed though that when I open Account | History | Form Layout what I get is the form for the General page.  Shouldn't I get the History form when I click Form Layout?  If so, then it would seem that somehow the History form is corrupt, deleted, or the internal link to it is broken.

Where to next?

Ken Kimbrough
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:27 PM
  • I tried uninstalling BCM and reinstalling, but that didn't change anything.

Ken Kimbrough
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I went through our bug database on BCM and I came across "BCM history view is empty with Outlook 4734 build"

The workaround was......if you click column-sort on the view, everything would appear and you will never see this problem again - until you create a new Outlook profile, then the problem comes back.

So, if you click column-sort on the History view, does the data appear? If you switch the view back to what you had before, does the data remain in the view?

-If that works for you, please use that for the timebeing. This has been sent up to the product group and should be addressed in a later build\version.

If that does not work, my best suggestion now would be to call in and open a Microsoft Support Incident with our BCM team. Normally, a case like this is going to be better troubleshooted by having us remote onto the machine so we can see things first hand.

Thanks, again!

Jahawk MSFT

Monday, November 15, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Jahawk,

Thanks for your persistence with this.  The problem I have is that the History page does not display any columns at all.  Ergo, there are no columns to sort. 

I'm going to take your advice, though and call in to Support and see what we can come up with.  If you want to leave this open, I'll post the results when we've got it fixed.

Ken Kimbrough
    Monday, November 15, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks!

The BCM team is pretty small, so I've already given the heads up to everyone. :-) Since we can repro the behavior by deleting the custom form, I am thinking that's probably the best place to start. Have you run a Process Monitor while you start up Outlook and go through the steps to show the issue. The trace will allow us to see all registry and file system access. Since you have already done a rip\re-install, I would be checking for Access Denied entries in the trace. ---Yep, for custom forms, we're going to access the registry and Windows Explorer.

Anyways, looking forward to discovering what's causing the issue.

Jahawk MSFT

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Jahawk,

I've just spent 45 minutes trying to get through to Volume Licensing Agreement support with no success.  I actually got a case #, but my calls have been dropped twice.  Do you have number I can call or email address that I can open a Support Incident?

If you prefer, you can reply to ken at omnemail dot com

Thanks in advance.

Ken Kimbrough
    Monday, November 15, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble.

Try this link and see if it points you to the right place:

Please visit the following link for details on the various support options available to you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Hope this helps!

Jahawk MSFT

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Hey Ken,

I would suggest calling back in on the case # they've given you. Then advise the engineer\duty manager\etc who answers to provide an e-mail address so that you can ask to be contacted by phone.

That might be the easiest way to go. - Hope so!

Jahawk MSFT

Monday, November 15, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Jahawk,

I'm responding to your post above re: process monitoring.  I have a tool called AccEvent, but I'm not sure what information you want.  I did a screen shot of available options, but don't know how to include it here. 

If you have something else in mind, please direct me to the tool and I'll try that.

Ken Kimbrough
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Should I tell them I need to be contacted by someone on the BCM team?  We have a volume license and I've been calling there, but I know that at least some of them don't even know what BCM is.  Had to explain it to them and even then I'm not sure they got it.
    Ken Kimbrough
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Simply state that you need to get to the Outlook team.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Hi Ken,

BCM is handled by the Outlook team, but customer service reps may not know that. Best off telling them you have an Outlook issue and then specify it's concerning BCM.

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Would you believe that I have spent 7 hours on the phone with 2 different people at Microsoft Support (both were very helpful, by the way) but neither could fix the problem.  With their help we uninstalled SQL Server 6.5 and installed SQL S 8, uninstalled BCM twice and reinstalled, deleted and reinstalled Framework for .Net, and tried numerous other tweaks and tricks.  Finally, we concluded that the problem was probably with BCM's forms.  It may have something to do with having had some custom fields on the Comm History form that were carried over from 2007, just guessing about that though.  After reaching this conclusion, the Support Person said that I would need to talk to Professional Support.  After a 10 minute interview about my issues (4th or 5th time I've explained it to someone at Microsoft) that ended with the question "Would someone at your company be willing to work on this 24/7 until it was resolved". (I asked if they wanted a dishonest answer or the truth.  They laughed.)  Then I was told that it was going to cost me $50 dollars to talk to a "Professional Support" person (are these other support people amateurs?)   I was also told that BCM was a commercial version which is pretty remarkable and disingenuous considering that BCM, until recently, was not available as a commercial/retail product .  They poor guy asking the questions, was a little puzzled by that when I made note of the fact.  It was suggested that if as an alternative, that there were some good online help resources (TechNet).  I then explained that that is where I started.   I declined to pay $50 to fix a problem that is an issue with the product.  Especially considering that the tool is undocumented (you can't really consider the limp online help as documentation), and there are no caveats posted anywhere regarding (1)  importing custom fields from 2007 or (2)  cautions about creating and/or editing custom fields in 2010.  Nothing, nada, zip. (A related, but sidebar on this problem is that I discovered that the default forms for several other features - Sales and Marketing accessed from the BCM Dashboard have also disappeared.)  So why should I pay for fixing that, when I never did anything with it in the first place?

So here I am after several weeks working with a several people who tired their best to help me and after spending over 10 hours of my time on this problem, back where I started.  And the Communication History screen is still blank!!

Since I was directed back here, I guess we should start all over again.  Any ideas?

Ken, a sadder but wiser man now.

Ken Kimbrough
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Just as an FYI for others reading this thread, Ken is being helped by one of our BCM engineers. Ken, James or I will later post the outcome of that work here.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]
    Monday, December 06, 2010 8:22 PM
  • I'm not sure my problem is quite the same. I've been using BCM2010 for months, with Win7 on a 32bit machine. Every now and then when it loads, it changes (for some reason) some setting and, when I open the file of a Business Contact, the History icon is gone as well as the icon to link files to the Contact. Normally I have rebooted and then reopened BCM2010 and, boom, the old ribbon with all the files/icons is back. I've done it three times this morning and nada, nothing seems ready to bring it back. So all my history and files for all my Contacts seems unavailable. No history at all. Where has it gone? How do I get it back on the ribbon and associated with my Contacts??
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I had the same problem. Couldn't see the linked communication history, just a Timeline. Have been looking everywhere for a solution. Finally I solve it by inactivate all Business Contact Manager add-ins (3) under File, Options and Add-Ins in Outlook, restarting Outlook, and then activate all Business Contact Manager add-ins again. Worth a try.
    • Proposed as answer by Rickard Boman Tuesday, February 08, 2011 1:28 PM
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Richard, Bingo.....I was following this thread because I was experiencing the same problem and after reading your input went directly to the Add-Ins in Outlook.  Sure enough Business Contact Manager was disabled.   (I believe when installing Microsoft Dynamics CRM there was a conflict which may have caused this).  When I made the add-in active again all my communication history reappeared!! You solved the mystery, it was definitely worth the try, thanks  
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:41 AM
  • I to, have that stupid timeline thing in my comminucation history. How do i get it back to the normal history that shows the previous emails?

Did you end up figuring it out?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Was this problem with Account/History forms ever resolved? We have shared database and this problem only exists on one workstation. I believe it could be Outlook based problem.

Friday, December 13, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Your forum is one of the best I've seen especially your publications and writings that are very very interesting.

voyance gratuite - http://www.gloria-voyance.com

Friday, December 13, 2013 10:45 AM
  • M.

This was eventually resolved and we continued using it for awhile.  However, I'm not sure that Microsoft even knows what was broken and how it got fixed (it just sort of started working OK again) but after 3 years I can't remember precisely what happened or why. 

In addition to the many steps described above, when I finally was assigned a Tech Support person who is an excellent troubleshooter, we eventually got things working again.  I would expect that if you contact BCM Support, they probably have a fairly detailed record of the incident (it went on for several weeks and we got pretty deep into their toolbox of troubleshooting tools). 

If you can't get to them or start to feel like your turning in circles, let me know; I have contact information for the guy who helped me and assuming that he's still at MS, he could probably at least point you to the right people.

Ultimately, we abandoned BCM and went to Dynamics CRM.  We came to the conclusion that BCM is not strategic and will probably go away before too long.  Also the feature set in CRM is stronger.  There was a lot to like in BCM, but in the long haul, we concluded that it's a dead end.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Ken

pyramid36 at outlook.com

Ken Kimbrough

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:27 PM