none
Does Sharepoint play any video file?

Question

• Hi everyone,

I was assign to create a site in sharepoint that will able to play a video file when upload in a list or doc.library.

I want to ask if what media format sharepoint(MOSS) can able to play? and what if the users upload different video format(.avi, .mov. 3gp, etc), are there any tools you guys can give that transcode this to be able to play in sharepoint,. ex. wmv format,.

thanks

®©™½¼
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:59 AM Wrong forum (Moved from SharePoint - Development and Programming to SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Monday, September 08, 2008 5:22 AM

Answers

• SharePoint will play all files that windows media player can play. If you have all codecs correctly installed for Media player, then you can host any file in SharePoint and then add a code that will make windows media player play the file.

To know how you can add a code to make windows media player play the file, refer to this article.

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:27 AM

All replies

• SharePoint will play all files that windows media player can play. If you have all codecs correctly installed for Media player, then you can host any file in SharePoint and then add a code that will make windows media player play the file.

To know how you can add a code to make windows media player play the file, refer to this article.

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:27 AM
  • Is it possible in sharepoint to install codec for different video format?,.

actually, what i'm thinking was to convert all the video file that i upload in my sharepoint site into a wmv format.,

any idea how will i do that?

thanks,

®©™½¼
    Monday, September 08, 2008 4:50 PM
  • You install codec only for windows media player, and since you say that the files are of type .wmv, then there is no need to install codec, since windows media player is made to play .wmv files.

you just need to upload the .wmv files in your document library, and then follow the steps that is mentioned in the article i have mentioned in my last reply.
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:11 AM
  • Thanks for that article ,. what i mean was if i upload a video file it will convert for example .3gp file to .wmv,. so that it can be played in the player,. but since you suggest to install codec i'll try that first,.

do you know any related post that can play a file even without embedding the url of the video file,. i think in this article the url is hardcoded,. i just want them to click any file in the list then it will play in the windows media player,.

thanks,

®©™½¼
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:22 AM
  • Moving to the General forum.

It isn't a Programming question (and indeed is very general!)
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:59 AM
  • Hi there

It should be easy. Just upload the file and click it afterwards. ONLY, for us, the files don't play. We can play the files from desktop, so codex' seems in place. Its' WMV files, so compatibility etc should be no problem. Apparently we can't click the files from sharepoint and click it. Any idea why ?

Rgds
    Jakob

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:55 AM