none
Microsoft Excel Starter 2010

Question

• Excel Starter 2010 was pre-loaded on my computer, purchased a couple of weeks ago.  All of my old excel files are being opened with this application, even attachments to an email.  How do I change the default option so that these files open in my Office XP Professional which I loaded myself.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:31 PM

Answers

• You have two options, Chuckie Boy. 1 - you can uninstall the Excel Starter 2010 from the 'Add or Remove Programs' in the Control Panel ('Programs and Features' in Vista or Windows 7); 2 - right click one of your Excel files and left click 'Open With' and click 'Choose Default Program'. If Excel XP Professional does not appear in the list you can hit the Browse button and navigate to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10 (or Office XP) folder and click to select Excel.exe

To make this change stick, be sure to check the box at the bottom of the dialog which reads 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Excel Support
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:35 PM

All replies

• You have two options, Chuckie Boy. 1 - you can uninstall the Excel Starter 2010 from the 'Add or Remove Programs' in the Control Panel ('Programs and Features' in Vista or Windows 7); 2 - right click one of your Excel files and left click 'Open With' and click 'Choose Default Program'. If Excel XP Professional does not appear in the list you can hit the Browse button and navigate to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10 (or Office XP) folder and click to select Excel.exe

To make this change stick, be sure to check the box at the bottom of the dialog which reads 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Excel Support
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Thanks, Will!!!  I will try option #2 first.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:47 PM