How to show local (not OneDrive) folders in Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Just upgraded to Anniversary Update. Now I am having trouble seeing my local (not OneDrive) Pictures and Documents folders in Explorer. Under "This PC" I can see locals folders for "Desktop", "Downloads", "Music" etc., but for "Documents" and "Pictures" I can only to the corresponding OneDrive folders (the "Documents" and "Pictures" icons show the little green checkmark).

How to I change this behaviour so that I see my local (Document and Picture) folders under "This PC" ("C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\" etc.)?

I have managed to change the default save locations to the local folders:
    - under OneDrive | Settings | AutoSave | Documents and Pictures > "This PC only
    and
    - Settings | System | Storage | Save Locations | New documents will save to: "This PC (C:)

Best regards
    JorgenJ

Saturday, September 24, 2016 1:45 PM

Answers

• The problem has been solved.

Under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

delete:

{F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Documents
        {0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639}    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Pictures

See also:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-show-local-not-onedrive-folders-in-explorer/53694754-047a-4b14-a0c1-66d2a4afcfb9?page=1

Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:51 AM

All replies

• Do you mean under Quick Access in File Explorer? I ask because my This PC section shows my local folders even though I use OneDrive to save my documents and pictures too.
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 3:46 PM
  • No, I mean under "This PC". 

And it is only the "Documents" and "Pictures" folders that point to OneDrive. I have just checked one or two more machines, and for these "Documents" and "Pictures" actually still point to the local folders. These systems where updated from Win 8.1 to Win 10 to Win 10 Anniversary (and the default save locations are still "This PC"). Strange.

I am sure that it must be possible to change this also for systems that came with a fresh Win 10 installation?

• Edited by jorgenjo Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:38 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:29 PM
  • Ok, do you use OneDrive on this machine? Just thinking a work-around perhaps but you set OneDrive not start and then exit it.

If you right click Documents under This PC and Properties, what does the location tab show? Can that be changed or does Restore Default change it?

Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Yes, OneDrive is active and seems to be working OK.

When right clicking "Documents" | Properties I only see 5 tabs:

- General
    - Sharing
    - Security
    - Previous Versions
    - Customize

There is no Location tab.

When right clicking "Pictures" | Properties I can see 6 tabs:

- Customize
    - General
    - Sharing
    - Security

The Location tab shows:

"C:\Users\jjoha\OneDrive\Pictures"

When clicking "Restore Defaults" it changes to:

C:\Users\jjoha\Pictures

However, when clicking Apply or OK I first get the "Move Folder" dialog ("Do you want to move all of the files..."), then when selecting "NO" (I do not want to move stuff from OneDrive to my local Pictures folder), I get the "Folder Redirection" dialog ("Do you want to redirect folder "Pictures" ... If you proceed with redirection you will never be able to ...). When selection "YES" I get an error message "The folder can't be moved here", "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that that can't be redirected. Access is denied".

Both "Documents" and "Pictures" are stuck at pointing to OneDrive.

Screen dump, File Exporer: http://jjohanson-test.com/folder-problem/folders.png

• Edited by jorgenjo Saturday, September 24, 2016 9:00 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Can only suggest you remove OneDrive from this profile see if that frees up the This PC associations, if that does add it back in. 
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 11:16 PM
  • Maybe this will fix the "Pictures" association since there is still a Location tab, but I am afraid that there will be problems with the "Documents" folder" since the Location tab has gone and there does not seem to be possible to redirect it anymore...

May be related to this?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/this-pc-documents-now-duplicate-one-drive-folder/6c93ff76-3d1f-4e42-9149-9df202c722b8

• Edited by jorgenjo Sunday, September 25, 2016 9:09 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Hi, 

I also consider that this issue is related to corrupted user profile. 

Please created a new user account to check if everything works fine in this account. 

If so, we can repair your current account and copy personal files into the new one: 

http://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt-user-profile-windows-10-9139/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 1, 2016 4:44 PM
  • The problem has been solved.

Under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

delete:

{F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Documents
        {0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639}    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Pictures

See also:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-show-local-not-onedrive-folders-in-explorer/53694754-047a-4b14-a0c1-66d2a4afcfb9?page=1

Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:51 AM