none
USB mouse does not work

Question

• hi All

I bought a new HP laptop few days ago,when I installed Win7 pro on it after a few minutes, the usb mouse stopped working. Its light still lights up ,but the cursor does not react. The drivers of the device are installed and working properly. the mouse will not work until I click "scan for hardware changes"in Device Management . but when I restart the computer, it happend again . but win7 home edition seems does not have this problem. please help.  thanks  

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try the following steps to replace related USB inf file.

1. Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows 7 computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2. Reboot the computer to check the result.

If it doesn’t work, please try to take the following suggestion.

Manually redirect the driver

-------------------------------------------

1. Click Start Button, open device manager.

2. Navigate to HID-devices, right click Unknown Device, choose search for drivers.

3. Install driver manually locating the file pointing to C:/Windows/Winsxs. Click OK

4. After successful installation, Reboot the machine.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest updating the latest BIOS and chipset from HP site, then reinstalling USB controllers to check the result. If any USB hub is used, please bypass it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2010/11/23/error-message-one-of-the-usb-device-attached-to-this-computer-has-malfunctioned-and-windows-does-not-recognise-it.aspx

Also, please perform clean boot, disable your antivirus and firewall temporarily to avoid any blocking. If the issue persists in clean boot, test the issue in Safe Mode and Device Clean boot.

Device Clean Boot

------------------------------

1. Go to Device Manager

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right Click on Audio device and choose disable.

4. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

5. After that, restart the computer and then test the issue. If it does not occur, you can enable the device one by one to narrow down this issue.

After you found the device that causing the problem, you can resolve by installing last driver or replacing the device.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 7:28 AM
  • hi Niki

in safe mode , the mouse worked.  I disabled every device I can, when restart the PC, the mouse still does not work .

the OS is newly installed without any other software except the device drives.  I found a strange things is although the mouse

does not work, but when I insert a usb flash disk in the same port, it works.   please advice 

thanks

Roy

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Please try the following steps to replace related USB inf file.

1. Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows 7 computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2. Reboot the computer to check the result.

If it doesn’t work, please try to take the following suggestion.

Manually redirect the driver

-------------------------------------------

1. Click Start Button, open device manager.

2. Navigate to HID-devices, right click Unknown Device, choose search for drivers.

3. Install driver manually locating the file pointing to C:/Windows/Winsxs. Click OK

4. After successful installation, Reboot the machine.

Best Regards,

Niki

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:35 AM
  • LOL well that is just briliant Niki. I would like to know how you expect the user to "Click" and "Navigate" when the MOUSE DOESN'T WORK?

Just saying.

Perhaps a more technical answer would be in order.

Raymond Johnson - Desktop Support Engineer

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:51 PM
  • The person asking the question said that it was a laptop and that the USB mouse doesn't work.  The concern was with the external mouse not the laptop mouse that can be navigated with the touchpad.   
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:28 PM