none
People Picker Autocomplete additional information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working with a client with a number of employees sharing the same name. When using the people picker control it is confusing to users which user to select. In some cases the "Title" field that shows beneath the display name can help resolve the issue but when these are similar it would be useful to also have access to the users Department.

Is it possible to configure the picker for the web application to display this additional information (without going down the route of custom code) either directly in the Autocomplete or in the title field when you hover over the user?

Thanks Chris

• Edited by chris_walker Friday, January 12, 2018 2:30 PM Removed html
    Friday, January 12, 2018 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris- you can't do that with the people picker, but you can set up a data connection to get that information and display it in another field.

BTW- not good practice to have multiple user names. You should use identifiers to distinguish between them so they all have unique names.

cameron rautmann

Friday, January 12, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

When you create a Person or Group column, you can select the value you want to display e.g. Department.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 15, 2018 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Yes I have already managed to do that but this is mainly for giving permissions to users when using the "Share" functionality.

Best Practice multiple user names?

Also I do not have control over the companies active directory, but it would not make a difference here anyway, when you have a large population of users > 20,000 then you are going to have multiple users with the same display name "John Smith" for example, how are users supposed to distinguish between them? if the username is derivertive of the persons name smithj, smithjo etc ... or if it is a <companyname>03773 style username this is not going to help the user sharing the data either.

However if you are sharing some employee data and you know you want to share it with John Smith who works in finance ... then you have a chance.

Unless we encourage the client to force new employees with the same or similar name to another employee to change it? :)

Thanks Chris

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunatly I am not interested SharePoint lists in this instance but the Autocomplete section of the people picker control.

Thanks Chris

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:17 PM
  • I face the same issue, multiple sub-companies with one Active-Directory.

It would be nice to customize the result field of the suggestion-list with additional informations like department or company.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:18 AM
  • To show the department i changed the line 231 of "autofill.debug.js" in the 15-hive (backup original!) and copied the whole code into "autofill.js":

var subDispText = objMenuItem[SPClientAutoFill.SubDisplayTextProperty] + ( objMenuItem.EntityData != null ? "\n" + objMenuItem.EntityData.Department : "" );
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Nice :P

I am tempted to mark that as the answer but I guess we should not encourage such behaviour.

Thanks Chris

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:07 AM