none
Move edge subscription to new server after migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have been baffled with moving our edge subscription from exchange 2007 server to exchange 2013 after migration for many months without success.  We must missing something very simple here, here is what we have done so far.  Our original setup was exchange 2007 edge and exchange 2007 mailbox server.  We want to upgrade to exchange 2013 so here are the steps we have done:

1. setup a new exchange 2013 sp1 edge server.

2. remove edge subscription from exchange 2007 mailbox server and re-subscribed to the new exchange 2013 sp1 server.

3. setup a new exchange 2013 sp1 mailbox server running side by side with the existing 2007 mailbox server.

4. migrate all the mailboxes and public folders from exchange 2007 to exchange 2013.  everything worked correctly.

5. want to retire the old exchange server so we need to move the edge subscription to the new exchange 2013 server.

I remove the edge subscription from the exchange 2007 server and create a new subscription from the edge server.  When I want to import the edge subscription to the exchange 2013 server, it will not subscribe.  I can't remember the exact error message but it just failed.  I can import the edge subscription to the old exchange 2007 server without any issues.  Does anyone know why I can't subscribe the edge server to the new exchange 2013 server?  What's the proper way to change the subscription when you have to exchange servers running side by side?  With the edge subscription being on the exchange 2007 server, the incoming emails go to exchange 2007 first and then exchange 2013 where all the mailboxes are.  We want to get rid of the old exchange 2007 server.  Thank you very much!

Will

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can continue to use existing Exchange Server 2007 Edge Transport server in Exchange Server 2013 SP1. Or you can install a new Exchange 2007 Edge Transport server in your perimeter network for the upgraded Exchange 2013 organization.

Note: In Exchange 2013, the Transport service exists on the Mailbox server, Internet mail flow occurs between the Transport service on the Mailbox server and the Edge Transport server. You need to import the Edge Subscription file and run EdgeSync on the Exchange 2013 Mailbox server.

The procedures to deploy a new Exchange 2007 Edge Transport server in your Exchange 2013 organization are basically the same as in previous versions of Exchange. For more information, see:

Use an Exchange 2010 or 2007 Edge Transport server in Exchange 2013

If the issue persists, could you reproduce the issue and upload detailed error information, which could help us further troubleshoot.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for the reply but we don't want to continue to use the existing Exchange server 2007 edge transport server because it's running on Windows 2008 R2 and on very old hardware.  Lastly, the server is pretty much gone for good.  Would it be possible to subscribe the new Exchange 2013 edge server to our Exchange 2013 email server?  Here is what we have right now:

Exchange 2013 email server with server roles: mailbox, client access

Exchange 2007 email server with server roles: mailbox, client access, hub transport

Exchange 2013 edge server with server roles: edge transport

Am I correct that Exchange 2013 does not come with hub transport because it's built into mailbox role?  Based on what we have now, what's the proper way to transfer/move the edge subscription from the old Exchange 2007 server to the new Exchange 2013 server?  If you have any suggestions, i will try this again and provide you the detail error message if it failed.  I can't find any records of the error messages from previous attempts.  Thanks again

Will

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend you to follow the steps:

1. Eliminate the Edge Subscription to the Exchange 2007. For the detailed steps, please refer to the thread.

2. Decommission the legacy Edge Transport server. For the detailed steps, please refer to the thread.

3.Use Exchange 2013 Edge server subscribe the Active Directory site. For the detailed steps, please refer to the thread.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:25 AM
  • Hi ,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Thursday, July 25, 2019 5:34 AM
  • Hi Kelvin,

Based on your recommendations, do you recommend remove the current Edge subscription from our Exchange 2007 and then uninstall Exchange 2007?  After uninstall Exchange 2007, re-subscribe the Edge Subscription to the Exchange 2013 server?  The Exchange 2007 Edge server has been wipe so I don't know how I can decommission the legacy Exchange 2007 Edge server.  Please advise and thank you for your help.

Will

Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

Since Exchange Server 2007 Edge Transport servers arenot connected directly to Active Directory or the Exchange organization, which means that there is virtually no affect on your Exchange organization if you decommission an Edge Transport server. The only task you need to do prior to removing an Edge Transport server is eliminate the Edge Subscription.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Monday, August 12, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

So it's okay to leave the Exchange Server 2007 mailbox server in place?  I removed the Edge Transport and when I tried to subscribe to the Exchange 2013 Edge server, it tells me to the subscription only works with the hub transport server so I subscribed to the Exchange 2007 hub transport server and it worked.  However, this is the question I am trying to find answer from the beginning.  Thanks.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

I understand that you would migrate your Exchange organization to Exchange 2013, if so, atfer the migration completing, it's recommended that decommissioning Exchange 2007 servers. Exchange 2013 Mailbox server includes transport service, you could deploy an Edge Transport server and subscribe it to an Active Directory site.

1.Install the Exchange 2013 Edge Transport server role.

2.Prepare for the Edge Subscription.

3.On the Edge Transport server, create and export an Edge Subscription file by running the New-EdgeSubscription cmdlet.

4.Copy the Edge Subscription file to a Mailbox server.

5.Import the Edge Subscription file to the Active Directory site by running the New-EdgeSubscription cmdlet on the Mailbox server.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:16 AM