none
Open PDF Documents in Application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just deployed SharePoint 2016 and Office Online Servers (OOS) to open office documents.  All is working fine except that I need to open PDF documents on the locally installed application.  Right now, when a user clicks on a PDF document, it open in Word Online.  I followed the instructions in this document: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_resource_kit/2013/07/31/control-whether-pdfs-open-in-word-web-app-or-the-default-pdf-reader/

When I do and I click on PDF documents, the browser flickers and an no document is opened at all.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 15, 2017 10:24 PM

Answers

• There are two ways to do this. All with PowerShell :) . If you change default open behavior setting for doc library then you'll loose for office application rendering on web.

1. Get-SPWOPIBinding -Application "WordPDF" | Remove-SPWOPIBinding

This will make sure all PDF files opening in Adobe but preview will also be lost.

2. Get-SPWOPIBinding -Application "WordPDF" -Action "View" | Remove-SPWOPIBinding

This will allow you to filter for View only and all other features still take benefits of OOS, including preview.

Hope this helps.

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi

Please check this below

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/135672/open-pdf-files-in-adobe-reader-instead-in-explorer

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Saturday, September 16, 2017 12:19 AM
  • Hi abdielh,

To open document in client application, you could check if you have set the “Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents” in the library settings.

Go to library settings->advanced settings->select “Open in the client application” in the “Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents:”. Then the documents in the library will be opened in client application.

More reference:

Set the default open behavior for browser-enabled documents (Office Web Apps when used with SharePoint 2013)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee837425.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 18, 2017 8:56 AM
  • There are two ways to do this. All with PowerShell :) . If you change default open behavior setting for doc library then you'll loose for office application rendering on web.

1. Get-SPWOPIBinding -Application "WordPDF" | Remove-SPWOPIBinding

This will make sure all PDF files opening in Adobe but preview will also be lost.

2. Get-SPWOPIBinding -Application "WordPDF" -Action "View" | Remove-SPWOPIBinding

This will allow you to filter for View only and all other features still take benefits of OOS, including preview.

Hope this helps.

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Hi abdielh,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fa

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 6, 2017 2:03 AM