none
Problem re-installing Office Pro Plus 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• My installation of Office 2016 Pro Plus has suddenly decided to stop working

When I try opening a desktop doc - I get "Windows cannot find NAME.Doc"

I have tried opening Winword.exe - with the same result

So I tried reinstalling Office - which made no difference at all !

I have tried a full "on-line repair" from the Control Panel "Fixes ALL problems" not !! - with no effect either....

This has happened since the latest Windows update - 1803  (17134.48) - so could this be linked ?

I have tried :

Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool 2.2

- which tells me  ..

"Word add-ins have been disabled due to performance or stability
    issues. To see the list of disabled add-ins, click the Configuration
    Details tile (above) and then search for 'Disabled Add-ins' using the
    Find feature"

Which points towards: 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2758876/add-ins-are-user-re-enabled-after-being-disabled-by-office-programs

Registry results !

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\<application>\Resiliency\DoNotDisableAddinList

DWORD: <ProgID of the add-in>

Value: Hex value between 1 and A indicating the reason the add-in was originally disabled. (see table below)

0x00000001 Boot load (LoadBehavior = 3)

0x00000002 Demand load (LoadBehavior = 9)

0x00000003 Crash

0x00000004 Handling FolderSwitch event

0x00000005 Handling BeforeFolderSwitch event

0x00000006 Item Open

0x00000007 Iteration Count

0x00000008 Shutdown

0x00000009 Crash, but not disabled because add-in is in the allow list

0x0000000A Crash, but not disabled because user selected no in disable dialog

NoteThe x.0 placeholder represents your version of Office (16.0 = Office 2016, 15.0 = Office 2013).

The value is "1" which implies Boot load error - but NO mention of any fix ?

Remember that Office refuses to even start up !

Is it possible that Windows update has caused this problem ?

Monday, May 21, 2018 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Steeboo,

Regarding your concern about the recent Windows update 1803, I tried to do much research but found few reports about the similar issue. Therefore I cannot confirm if the problem is related to the upgrade.

In your scenario, do you mean the error "Windows cannot find NAME.Doc" prompts whenever you try to launch Word? 

To help narrow down if the issue is related to any third party add-ins, please try to start Word in safe mode and check the result:

1. Press Win+R.
    2. Type "winword /safe", please note that there is a space before "/".
    3. Press Enter.

If the problem persists, please try to perform a clean boot in Windows, then have a try and see the result. This helps eliminate whether the issue was caused by any software conflicts:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

By the way, does this issue affect other Office applications like Excel or PowerPoint?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:45 AM
  • Hi Steeboo,

Regarding your concern about the recent Windows update 1803, I tried to do much research but found few reports about the similar issue. Therefore I cannot confirm if the problem is related to the upgrade.

In your scenario, do you mean the error "Windows cannot find NAME.Doc" prompts whenever you try to launch Word? 

To help narrow down if the issue is related to any third party add-ins, please try to start Word in safe mode and check the result:

1. Press Win+R.
    2. Type "winword /safe", please note that there is a space before "/".
    3. Press Enter.

If the problem persists, please try to perform a clean boot in Windows, then have a try and see the result. This helps eliminate whether the issue was caused by any software conflicts:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

By the way, does this issue affect other Office applications like Excel or PowerPoint?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

I mean any Office application - when trying to open - I get an error "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16\Word' Make sure that you've typed the name correctly, then try again"

For Word - note that any app does the same

But I am unable to even install Office properly - so am totally stuck

Also - the latest update erased ALL of my restore points - so I am unable to even restore my device !!

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Also - running in Win safe mode - makes no difference at all !

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:40 AM
  • Hi Steeboo,

Have you checked via Control Panel > Programs and Features to see if Office 2016 was installed on the computer? If yes, please locate to C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16 or search in the Disk (C:) to see if the applications are there.

If the above doesn't work, please use the easy fix tool mentioned in the link below to uninstall Office completely:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8

Then try to reinstall Office 2016 by following the steps in Download and install or reinstall Office on your PC or Mac.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Hi Steeboo,

Have you checked via Control Panel > Programs and Features to see if Office 2016 was installed on the computer? If yes, please locate to C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16 or search in the Disk (C:) to see if the applications are there.

If the above doesn't work, please use the easy fix tool mentioned in the link below to uninstall Office completely:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8

Then try to reinstall Office 2016 by following the steps in Download and install or reinstall Office on your PC or Mac.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Uninstalled Office 2016 from the control panel and also ran fix tool to make sure

REBOOTED

Then reinstalled Office 2016 from an image file - downloaded from MS

Guess what - no difference at all - still same error messages !!

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Hi Steeboo,

Have you checked in "C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16" to see if the Office applications are listed there? 

If yes, please double click the .exe file to see if the applications can be launched properly.

In case the issue is related to the remaining registry keys from the previous Office installations, it is also suggested to refer to the option 3 in this article to uninstall Office manually and then reinstall Office to see if this can fix the problem.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:04 AM
  • Hi Steeboo,

Have you checked in "C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16" to see if the Office applications are listed there? 

If yes, please double click the .exe file to see if the applications can be launched properly.

In case the issue is related to the remaining registry keys from the previous Office installations, it is also suggested to refer to the option 3 in this article to uninstall Office manually and then reinstall Office to see if this can fix the problem.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

No - No Office apps are shown !!

But it believes that they are - I have tried multiple methods of uninstalling Office !

Any more suggestions as to how I can reinstall Office ?

Thursday, May 24, 2018 10:39 AM
  • Hi Steeboo,

>> Then reinstalled Office 2016 from an image file - downloaded from MS

Can you finish the installing process when trying to reinstall Office? If not, was there any error message?

I noticed that a new update for Windows 10 1803 was released on May,22, please try installing the updates and try again to check the result.

I tried to do much research regarding the error "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16\Word' Make sure that you've typed the name correctly, then try again" but barely found any solid solution. In the link below which discusses a similar situation but occurs to Office 2010 on Windows 7, the original poster finally resolved the issue by reinstalling Windows:

https://superuser.com/questions/304594/windows-cannot-find-c-program-files-microsoft-office-office14-winword-exe-in-wi 

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Considering that it has been several days since the issue occurs but we still cannot get it resoled, personally I'd like to suggest backing up everything important on the computer and then try to reinstall Windows. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Friday, May 25, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Hi Steeboo,

>> Then reinstalled Office 2016 from an image file - downloaded from MS

Can you finish the installing process when trying to reinstall Office? If not, was there any error message?

I noticed that a new update for Windows 10 1803 was released on May,22, please try installing the updates and try again to check the result.

I tried to do much research regarding the error "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16\Word' Make sure that you've typed the name correctly, then try again" but barely found any solid solution. In the link below which discusses a similar situation but occurs to Office 2010 on Windows 7, the original poster finally resolved the issue by reinstalling Windows:

https://superuser.com/questions/304594/windows-cannot-find-c-program-files-microsoft-office-office14-winword-exe-in-wi 

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Considering that it has been several days since the issue occurs but we still cannot get it resoled, personally I'd like to suggest backing up everything important on the computer and then try to reinstall Windows. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

I have already tried an image file from MS - Same error as previously !!

So - to resolve an Office installation issue - you are advising that I reinstall Windows ....... REALLY ?

I would prefer to use OpenOffice !
    Friday, May 25, 2018 10:38 AM