no need for the "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search"? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am under the impression that using MOSS 2K7 if you have the "Office SharePoint Server Search" configured you DO NOT need to set up and configure the "Windows SharePoint Services Search" even though the software states 'Required on Farm, not running'.

Thoughts?

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:01 PM

Answers

• You only need it if you want to search help. After you start the service in central administration it is renamed to "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search".

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• You only need it if you want to search help. After you start the service in central administration it is renamed to "Windows SharePoint Services Help Search".

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Great, that is what I thought.

So one other question about it then.  You know that stupid warning "Server Farm Configuration Not Complete"?  The removal of that warning is a pain.  It has not worked the same way for me in any of the three envioronments I have set up and I have called MS about it and they give me vague answers.  Does the config of this service have anything to do with that warning?

Essentially meaning...if I don't want to search help then I don't need this service so I don't configure it.  If that is the case will it stop that warning from going away?

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:48 PM
  • I am pretty sure you need to create the "Shared Services Provider" before that warning will go away.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Yes, I agree you have to create the SSP before it will go away, but I was wondering more specifically about the WSS Help Service.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:34 PM