none
Cannot Modify or Copy Workflow in Sharepoint 2010 Subsites RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Friends:

I have a SharePoint site with 3 subsites, so far. I am trying to create an approval workflow inside the subsites, based on the Globally reusable workflow: " Approval - Sharepoint 2010". 

When I try to copy and modify I get the following error: "This workflow is read-only. Would you like to make a copy of this workflow to open or edit?" Click Yes, and I get the following error: " The server could not complete your request. For more specific information, click the details button." When I click on details, I just get an empty box.

don't really know how to fix this problem. Strange thing, I can copy and modify the OOTB workflows inside the root site, but not on the subsites.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Roy

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• I actually found the answer. My mistake...

Thanks to Roy Kims Sharepoint 2010 blog...

The answer is.....

Limitations/Considerations

Notes about the concept of Reusable Workflow in SharePoint Designer
    1) To have your workflow Globally Reusable, it must be made Globally Reusable from the Root Site Collection level. Within a sub site, cannot make a custom workflow and make it Globally Reusable.
    2) Within a sub site, when a workflow is Globally Reusable, cannot “Copy and Modify” a workflow to make further customizations for that given sub site.
    3) If you were to “Publish” a workflow in a sub site, you cannot “Publish Globally” because this operation only can happen at the root level.
    The take away is that for a Globally Reusable workflow, it copied to all sub sites and cannot be modified thereafter per site

• Marked as answer by RoyJi Friday, September 16, 2011 1:30 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:29 AM
  • For the subsites where you want to create your approval workflow, you can easily do it from scratch.  Each of those workflows really only has a single action in it.  Create a workflow (reusable or not) and put one of the task actions in there: start approval process, or start feedback process.  There's another one "start custom process", but I recommend saving that one until you're more advanced because it is completely blank and takes a lot of work.

Here's some stuff I wrote about it: The SharePoint 2010 Task Process Designer

Laura Rogers
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura
    Twitter: WonderLaura
    Books:Beginning SharePoint 2010: Building Business Solutions with SharePoint
    Using InfoPath 2010 with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Step by Step

• Edited by LauraRogers MVPMVP Friday, September 16, 2011 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by RoyJi Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:04 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:06 AM

All replies