none
Helpdesk Template in 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there. While trying up upgrade one of my sites to 2013, it seems that sharepoint 2013 does not come with the help desk template by default? I get the following error "missing site definition, Id = [75816]"

Which leads me to this page:

http://sharepointgeorge.com/2009/upgrading-content-db-sharepoint-2010-part-1-preupgradecheck/

which says that it is something called "Help Desk Fab 40". Most likely this was installed by a long gone predecessor, but it looks to be a free solution.

As I use that particular template across a bunch of sites, can you provide a download link to the 2013 version? the old MS link to the file is only for earlier versions of sharepoint. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16664

I would think if microsoft is providing this template, they have an obligation to continue support. Does anyone have a link to the updated file?

Friday, September 6, 2013 9:57 PM

All replies

• Fab 40 templates are no longer supported by Microsoft, if you have the WSP which were deployed in the SharePoint 2010 you can try to deploy them in the SharePoint 2013 as a farm solution, and then try to upgrade the site collections.

---
    Rajesh | Blog

Saturday, September 7, 2013 3:22 AM
  • i tried and didnt work. although i imported the wsp after I upgraded the site.

will try again to fix order of operations. will document if i get it working (i have no choice but to get it working or I cant upgrade.) God damnit microsoft.

M$: "Backwards compatibility, whats that?"

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:30 PM
  • i tried and didnt work. although i imported the wsp after I upgraded the site.

will try again to fix order of operations. will document if i get it working (i have no choice but to get it working or I cant upgrade.) God damnit microsoft.

M$: "Backwards compatibility, whats that?"

Its little harsh on SharePoint 2013, I think the fab 40 was targeted for WSS 3.0 and these application templates were never part of the SharePoint products. These are free addons, you need to play it on your risk.

---
    Rajesh | Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:57 PM
  • harsh on sharepoint? bwahaha oh thats a good one. I wish I could brutally murder sharepoint. If anything I am being nice. Your answer is not a "solution" at all. Microsoft offers these templates for download on their microsoft.com site. Therefor they are part of the sharepoint suite of products, explicitly indorsed and provided by microsoft, and they should continue supporting them. That they are not, only looks bad on microsoft, not me, for not envisioning that 6 years later, microsoft would stop supporting them. I guess I should have known, but what can you say. I am sure plenty of people deployed these templates and will now be stuck with this burden. I understand that perhaps they were not created by microsoft, but microsoft documentation points to using these for helpdesk and recommends them so much that they even host the files!. So microsoft definitely benefited from their deployment on customers PCs.

as i said before, i will post back when i get these working with how I did it, or a work around. Simply saying "shit dude you are out of luck" is not a solution in any sense of the word. As a one man IT team for my company, i simply haven't got around to looking into this again since I last posted as there are more crucial things currently going on.

The question, how to get helpdesk 2013 templates working has not been answered yet.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:53 PM
  • I think I got it. Well at least i got past the error, and was able to upgrade the site and was able to place work orders, workflows run, etc. Havent tested everything, but at least its not bitching right now. Here is how I did it, ymmv.

1) First install the fab40 templates to the farm. These were the only ones i appeared to use. I downloaded them from microsoft fab 40 templates:

stsadm -o addsolution -filename "C:\Sharepoint Tools\Webparts\helpdesk template\helpdesk.wsp"
    stsadm -o addsolution -filename "C:\Sharepoint Tools\Webparts\KnowledgeBase.wsp"
    stsadm -o addsolution -filename "C:\Sharepoint Tools\Webparts\alltemplates\AbsenceVacationSchedule.wsp"
    stsadm -o addsolution -filename "C:\Sharepoint Tools\Webparts\alltemplates\ApplicationTemplateCore.wsp"

stsadm -o deploysolution -name "ApplicationTemplateCore.wsp" -immediate -allowgacdeployment
    stsadm -o deploysolution -name "AbsenceVacationSchedule.wsp" -immediate -allowgacdeployment
    stsadm -o deploysolution -name "KnowledgeBase.wsp" -immediate -allowgacdeployment
    stsadm -o deploysolution -name "helpdesk.wsp" -immediate -allowgacdeployment

Keep testing your content database, you will see less and less errors occur after each wsp is installed. Your site may have more of them in use, the above 4 were all i had. ( test-spcontentdatabase -name sharepoint.SERVER.CA -webapplication http://sharepoint.SERVER.CA )

2) There are a number of directories/files to copy. To get rid of the 75816 error, I first copied the following files, which allowed me to upgrade the site to 2013:

"\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\1033\XML\WEBTEMPKB.xml"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\1033\XML\WEBTEMPAbsence.xml"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\1033\XML\WEBTEMPHelpDesk.xml"

You copy them to the exact same path, except you are substituting 14 with 15 like so:

"\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\1033\XML"

I then upgraded the site and it went fine, with some warnings which dont seem to matter much (although i keep the logs for down the line if something isnt working)

3) Re run the TEST command from above (test-spcontentdatabase) and you will see you need to copy a wackload more of files. These are the directories I copied, same proceedure as step 2.

"\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\HelpDeskListInstances"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\HelpDeskModules"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\HelpDeskServiceRequestsList"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\HelpDeskSupportFaqList"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\HelpDeskTasks"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\HelpDeskExpertsList"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\HelpDeskInIssuesList"

"\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\KnowledgeBaseModules"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\KnowledgeBaseKeywordsList"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\KnowledgeBaseKnowledgeBaseList"
    "\\sharepoint2013\c$\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\KnowledgeBaseListInstances"

again copy them to the /15/ directory as opposed to 14. They get installed when you install the WSP files I believe. If they are not there, check your old site, however they were all there for me.

So again, this procedure did work for me SO FAR. I have not completely tested everything yet. I am mostly just happy i was able to bypass the upgrade warnings. And for my simple sites which are basic work order sites, this seems to work. The user can put in a work order which i am happy about, and all the historical data seems to be there.

I will keep this thread updated if there is any more problems or other hints that I would have to share.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Any recent updates? I also want to deploy a Helpdesk solution for SharePoint 2013 but your above solution went right over my head. Are those PowerShell for SharePoint commands? How did you end up deploying the above solution? I have the files, but not exactly sure how to use them. Aka...I'm not very familiar with farm solutions.

Thanks for your guidance.

oh and I use the SharePoint 2013 online solution. So we don't have an on prem server. Most of what I find is on prem solutions and help guides. >_<
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:16 PM
  • so step one is sharepoint powershell commands yes. you would need the WSP files  and then change the paths to where you have the wsp files stored.

Then run the test command and you should see the errors go away, which is also a power shell command:

( test-spcontentdatabase -name sharepoint.SERVER.CA -webapplication http://sharepoint.SERVER.CA )

you obviously are changing the sharepoint.server.ca to match your sharepoint server.

The rest of the steps involve only straight file copies. The files I copied, were identified as missing by the test command above. I copied them from the old server or the /14 directory to the /15 directory manually by copying the files. I think when you install the WSP files, it may create the files in the /14 directory  (for example

c:\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\

) and you would want to copy them to:

c:\program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\

Not sure what else I can say really. A few months later and with the exception of a few hiccups, everything is still running fine.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Here's a help desk template for 2013 for anybody that's interested:

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    SharePoint Site | Joomla Site | Knowledgebase

• Edited by Miguel Fra Saturday, May 3, 2014 2:11 PM
    Saturday, May 3, 2014 2:10 PM
  • @sharepointisneedlesslycomplex, thanks for providing this. 

Another way I found that worked is just to install to the 14 and 15 hives via the following:

Install-SPSolution -Identity "WebpartSolution.wsp" -GACDeployment -force -CompatibilityLevel {14,15}

BillyBob

Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:06 PM