none
How do I filter a SharePoint list on blanks? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large SharePoint list and want to create a view the shows only rows where a particular column is blank.  I know there are some special values like [Today] and [Me].  Is there one for [Blank] or [Null]?  How can this be done?
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• simple way, i tested, just create another view and set the filter on your particular column.

like in your list you have due date column, and you want to setup a view which only display the rows where due date was not entered.

simply leave the field as empty: due date > Is Equal to >> in the vlaue filed leave it as empty.

hope this help

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by nikita.it Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:02 PM
  • That was the first thing I tried.  I set a filter on the text colum and chose "is equal to" and then left field blank.  When I click OK, I get:

• The filter type you selected cannot be used with this field.  To filter fields that contain multiple lines of text, use the 'contains' or 'begins with' operators.  You cannot use the 'begins with' operator if rich HTML is allowed for the field.

If I use 'contains' and leave the field blank, none of the rows show up.  (I guess they all must contain a blank character somewhere.)

Other ideas?

Thanks.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Hi ChrisHoll,

Is the column you use to filter the view a multiple lines of text type?

Please Convert it to XSLT Data View in SPD then Filter option (Select the column name IsNull) could be set in Common Data View Tasks.

For detail please check out this similar thread. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointadmin/thread/77e37df7-0286-4a30-8b67-03317eff63b7

Thanks.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:37 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Hi Emir,

> Is the column you use to filter the view a multiple lines of text type?

Yes, it is.  I'll look into converting it to XSLT, but I don't have SPD so I'm not sure how to do this.  I'm thinking of just putting in a string, like <Value needed> and then fliter on that.

Thanks,

Chris

Saturday, December 4, 2010 12:52 AM
  • Hi,

I have a solution for this but that also requires SPD. I am afraid that you cannot do this out of the box. You have to use some trick and that can be done using SPD.

Regards

Ginni [My SharePoint Blog ]

Saturday, December 4, 2010 11:36 AM
  • ModifyView>Filter>YourFieldName>Is Equal to>[Is Null]

Works everytime, all the time for me.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:57 PM
  • try setting filter value for that column equal to as 'blank' (leave empty) .

it worked for my site.

• Proposed as answer by nikita.it Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:21 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 8:31 AM
  • Thank you
    Monday, March 12, 2018 5:19 AM
  • this doesn't work on mine
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:46 PM