none
Presence Unknown error on Lync Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Lync Standard edition using the steps mentioned in this blog - http://policelli.com/blog/archive/2011/02/28/step-by-step-guide-to-deploying-lync-server-2010-standard-edition-published/

I hv a AD and Lync Std Edition. I dont hv an exchange server in my demo environment.

All the services in the Lync control manager are running. I created two users - DemoUser1 and DemoUser2. i hv added them to Lync via the control manager. I started the lync client and able to login as DemoUser1 and demouser2. I am able to add DemoUser1 and DemoUser2 in each other contacts. But in the Lync client, it shows the presence of other user as unknown.

For e.g. in Lync client logged in as DemoUser1, i hv added demouser2 as contacts but demouser2 presence is shown as unknown. Same happens from Lync client as logged in as DemoUser2.

Since the presence is not known, i am not able to IM between DemoUser1 and DemoUser2. I am getting presence unknown error.

How to debug this.

Thanks,

-Bajjee

Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

May I suggest you run the Best practice analyser, to verify you server setup and configuration? Unless you have blocked these users from seeing each other (using privacy), they shoud see each others status.

Do you see their status when searching the address book?

Lasse Wedø,
    Blog:Tech@work, Twitter: @lawedo

Please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left if the post was helpful, or mark it as an answer if it resolved your issue.
    • Marked as answer by bajjee Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:41 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

May I suggest you run the Best practice analyser, to verify you server setup and configuration? Unless you have blocked these users from seeing each other (using privacy), they shoud see each others status.

Do you see their status when searching the address book?

Lasse Wedø,
    Blog:Tech@work, Twitter: @lawedo

Please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left if the post was helpful, or mark it as an answer if it resolved your issue.
    • Marked as answer by bajjee Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:41 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Thanks for the tip. When i searched their names, it was showing the status. So i removed the users and added them back and now i am able to see their status. IM and internal voice are working as expected.

-Bajjee

Thanks, Bajjee
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:43 AM