none
How can I set "plain text only" format for a contact in a SharePoint 2010 Contact list? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I specify "plain text" format for a contact in a SharePoint 2010 Contact list?

My situation... we have a contact list in a SharePoint 2010 site that is shared by multiple users. These users have that list linked to Outlook. One of the contacts in that contact list has the "winmail.dat" issue. To avoid this, all email to this user must be sent in plain text format. In a regular Outlook contact list, I can select the Outlook Properties for that person and set the "Internet Format: Send plain text only." When I do the same thing with a contact that is in a SharePoint contact list, it always reverts back to "Internet Format: Let Outlook decide the best sending format."

Thanks!

Friday, November 2, 2012 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hi EdwardLee,

Have a look at the following thread,

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/42fba9a3-04e6-42f4-a6bc-921441e1d518/

Regards,

Kelly Chen

Monday, November 5, 2012 7:07 AM
  • hi Yaoyao. I did NOT find any information in that thread regarding setting plain text as the default for a contact in a SharePoint contact list. Did I miss something? thank you.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi EdwardLee,

Sorry for not make it clear, then there are four solutions to prevent Winmail.dat file, please have a check.

1. Changing the default message format
    2. Use Rich Text internally but not externally
    3. Change on a per message basis
    4. The last is what you used, change on a per contact basis

For more information, please refer to:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/richtext.htm

Regards,

Kelly Chen

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hi Kelly. Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, it's doesn't quite answer the problem that I am having. Specifically, regarding option #4... I can't seem to change the setting on a per contact basis when the contact in question is from a SharePoint contact list (I have no problem changing the setting for an individual that is in a standard Outlook/Exchange contact list). As I explained in my original post, when I attempt to choose the "plain text format" option for a contact that is in a SharePoint contact list, it seems to ignore the setting and the contact always reverts back to "Internet Format: Let Outlook decide the best sending format."

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:15 PM