none
Migrating SharePoint on-premises to hybrid RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all,

I have an On-Premises SharePoint 2016 Farm, and looking to migrate to Hybrid implementation, while keeping SharePoint Server 2016.

Where can I get guidelines or steps to achieve this requirement?

Thanking you.

Jamil

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:51 PM

All replies

• All of the information on hybrid is at https://docs.microsoft.com/sharepoint/hybrid/hybrid. Let us know if you have a specific scenario you want to cover. Hybrid functionality is added to your existing farm.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:53 PM
  • Hi Jamil,

The steps for migrating SharePoint server 2016 to another SharePoint environment with hybrid using Content Database Migration are the same.

Migrate SharePoint 2016 To SharePoint 2019 Environment Using Content Database Migration

However it will be affected with some hybrid features such as hybrid app launcher, since the HybridSPSetup wizard has connected to entire farm.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, March 19, 2020 9:33 AM
  • Hi Jamil,

Is there any progress on this issue?

Please feel free to reply.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, March 23, 2020 1:56 AM
  • Trevor,

Thank you for your reply.
    I have checked the article you sent above, this talks about hybrid implementation of sharepoint.
    My case is different,  I already have a sharepoint on-premises farm in production,  and want to migrate to a hybrid farm.
    Any straightforward guidance?

Thanks

jamils

Monday, March 23, 2020 10:43 AM
  • You don't need to 'migrate', you need to enable hybrid features on your current farm.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 23, 2020 2:15 PM
  • Great,

something missing!!

in on-premises deployment, I have Front-End, and Back-End services (servers) both running on-premises.

but, when considering Hybrid deployment, Back-End will be on-premises while Front-End will be on Cloud (O365).

suppose I just enabled the hybrid features, what will happen to the "front-end" services on-premises?

are they going to be kept running? or decommissioned? etc..

Thanks

Monday, March 23, 2020 7:58 PM
  • Nope, that's not how SharePoint Hybrid works. With hybrid, you have your standard farm just like you do today with FEs and BEs, and you add hybrid *services* to your existing farm, such as hybrid OneDrive for Business (so you no longer host MySites/OneDrive sites on-prem) or hybrid Search so your on-prem Search sends its index up to the cloud and search results for both on-prem and SPO are unified.

There is no physical architecture change in the environment.

Trevor Seward

Monday, March 23, 2020 9:27 PM
  • Great, 

So, what is the use of hybrid? it is useless as per you explanation, even worse, it adds extra cost, efforts, etc.. for tnothing!!

Exchange online adds value, when a hybrid deployment in place, but for sharepoint online, it seems it does not.

unless something is missing...

Thanks 

Monday, March 23, 2020 9:37 PM
  • Did you read the docs? It allows you to maintain a presence in both on-prem and online or assists in transitioning from on-prem to online. This is _just_ like Exchange hybrid which allows you to mix mailboxes between on-prem and online, for instance.

Trevor Seward

Monday, March 23, 2020 9:40 PM
  • Hi Jamil,

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Thursday, March 26, 2020 9:01 AM