none
How to have a restriction access to specific documents in a library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Relatively new to sharepoint and was just wondering if it were possible to put access resriction to specific documents within a library?

For example, if i have a library named "finance team" with 4 documents in this library and I wanted to put a restriction to prevent access to one of the documents - how would I do this?

Thanks.

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:59 PM

All replies

• hello,

yes it is possible to assign unique permissions to particular documents in document library (Context menu > Shared With > Advanced > Break permission inheritance), BUT it is better to not do it like that.If you will manage permissions for particular documents separately soon you will face with maintenance hell.

It is better to put documents at least to folders and assign permissions on folder level. And it is also better don't assign permissions to particular users - use Sharepoint groups instead, add users there and assign permissions to groups.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    Dynamic CAML queries via C# - https://github.com/sadomovalex/camlex

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Thanks, will try this.

I was also wondering if it were possible to link multiple sharepoint calendars between location sites?

For example, there are a number of holiday trackers across different sites globally and I want to extract information from all of these trackers into one sharepoint calendar as the team consists of 5 people across various sites.

Fred Works at the UK site and has his own leave calendar for annual leave
    Simon works at the France site and has his own leave calendar for annual leave. Joe works at the Germany site and his own etc. - how do I link these calendars togther?

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Hi mayhs55,

Whether the sadomovalex’s reply helps you? If it helps, you can mark it as answer.

Besides, since this thread is talk about “How to have a restriction access to specific documents in a library?”, as for your second question “if it were possible to link multiple sharepoint calendars between location sites”, I recommend you create a new thread with this topic. You will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who have same requirement can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi mayhs55,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:49 AM