none
Strange behaviour of Contribute permissions to a site RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2010 SharePoint setup that was installed cleanly and then a content database that was upgraded and attached from a 2007 install.

I'm now finding that users who were able to edit sites in the 2007 setup now cannot edit sites on the new 2010 setup. They keep gettting access denied messages when they click on Edit Page or the Edit page button on the Ribbon. They have been given contribute permissions to all the libraries. What makes this even more stranger is that if I, as a full admin, go and edit the page I can do this fine. I then save, check-in and publish the page. Then if I login as the user and try to edit the page as the user it works.. I can then edit the page.

However shortly afterwards when the user themselves go to try and edit the page they get the access denied screen again. I check on my PC as the user and yes it is once again giving them access denied. So it appears that if an Administrator edits the page it fixes the problem but only temporarily.

obviously I can't keep editing pages for users. I have even created completely new SharePoint Groups with individual users in them and given them contribute permissions. The problem still exists.

Can anyone help as I am getting to the point where I am seriously considering completely re-doing our entire SharePoint Intranet from Scratch on a 2010 content database and not using the upgraded content database from 2007.

Monday, November 8, 2010 1:08 PM

Answers

• For anyone who may be interested or may experience this problem themselves, I have now found out what was causing the problem and have fixed it.

The problem was being caused by the fact that all my custom groups that have contribute permissions no longer had any permissions to the Master Pages and Layouts library. What appears to have happened is that the upgrade from 2007 to 2010 has reset that library to the standard set of permissions groups and took off all my custom groups. Therefore all I needed to do was give my groups read permissions to that library and now it all works ok

• Marked as answer by Roguesooty Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:36 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:36 AM

All replies

• .... I have even created completely new SharePoint Groups with individual users in them and given them contribute permissions. The problem still exists.....

When you say this, do you mean you have created new Permissions Levels?  From the top level site, you can go to Site actions --> User Permissions.  On the right end of the ribbon you can edit "Permissions Levels".  Try making a new permission level and messing with the permission selections from that page.  Then set your user groups to the new user permission levels you have made.

Hope this helps

-PV

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.

I create my own permissions level called Editors. I took all the permissions from the Contribute level and applied them to my Editors one. Changed the permissions for my group to the Editors permission. Still give's me access denied when I login as the user and try to edit the page.

I then gave the Editors permissions level Manage Website permissions which should allow the user to do everything that they need to do and more but once again the user still gets access denied when trying to edit the page.

any further suggestions are most welcome.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:39 AM
  • For anyone who may be interested or may experience this problem themselves, I have now found out what was causing the problem and have fixed it.

The problem was being caused by the fact that all my custom groups that have contribute permissions no longer had any permissions to the Master Pages and Layouts library. What appears to have happened is that the upgrade from 2007 to 2010 has reset that library to the standard set of permissions groups and took off all my custom groups. Therefore all I needed to do was give my groups read permissions to that library and now it all works ok

• Marked as answer by Roguesooty Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:36 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:36 AM
  • interesting to keep in mind; thanks for the info!
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:37 PM