none
Outlook Email addresses no longer displayed as part of mail To: list RRS feed

• Question

• With the most recent outlook 2016 update, email addresses are no longer being displayed as part of the recipient's name when composing a new message.  For example, previously a composed email would be addressed to knewUzer<soAndSo@abc.com>.  After the update the email address appears only as 'knewUzer'.  I made no specific changes to contacts in my address book before/during/after the update. 

I have several contacts which receive email on more than one account.  Having the full email address as part of the email prevents me from sending to an address that may not be monitored promptly.  Is there an obvious fix or setting that I don't know about, or possibly a deliberate change of the new update?  Please help me get my full email address display back. 

BTW, I am a using outlook configured as a POP3 mail client.  No Exchange involved.
    • Edited by knewUzer Thursday, November 16, 2017 1:44 AM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 1:42 AM

All replies

• I believe this is default behavior for email addresses that are in your Address Book.  Are you sure the contact you are sending to is not in your contact list?

I found a few threads that might help point us in the right direction. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/05290133-6e02-4b50-b9c5-a52eff016b35/displaying-of-email-addresses-in-outlook?forum=outlook

This is an old thread but has recent activity and is quite long.  Perhaps it will help as well. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7196cf81-7822-48bd-8ac5-96ae46566255/how-to-show-email-address-not-just-name-in-from-and-to-fields?forum=outlook

Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:38 AM
  • This behaviour is because the displayname is used instead of smtp address. The first time you entered an email address it will display the john.doe@company1.com but after that it will save the information in a file, .N2K for future use.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Sun MS Friday, November 17, 2017 8:47 AM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:31 AM