none
lync server 2010 migration to 2013 error while trying to delete lync 2010 Front End Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm in the last steps in LYNC 2010 TO LYNC 2013 migration (enterprise edition) .

I followed the Microsoft articles and I reach to the final step where I have to  Remove a Front End Server 2010 from the

Enterprise Edition Front End pools  under the lync server 2010

I got the error "a pool must contains at least one machine"

and

one more error related to the pstn gateways which was added to this pool. plz check the attached image .

please advice me what to do ?

Kind Regards

mk

Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description above, did you mean before deleting the Lync Server 2010 Pool from topology, you found the replication of Lync 2010 FE Server not update to date?

If it is the case, based on my knowledge, there is no affect for Lync Server 2013 Pool. Please double check if Lync Server 2013 Pool work normally, and Lync users in Lync 2013 Pool can use all Lync function without issues. Then you can delete Lync 2010 Pool from Topology and publish it. After finish it, please re-run step 2 on Lync Server 2013 FE Servers.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mohammed AK Friday, April 3, 2015 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:41 AM
  • I agree.  If 2010 is about to be gone forever and users/objects aren't hosted on it anymore, I wouldn't worry about replication not making it there.  It shouldn't affect your production.  If you want to be sure, you could stop services for a while and see if anyone notices.  I'd just keep at it until it's gone from the topology and it sounds like you're at the final steps!

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:05 PM
  • Exactly what the error says. Since you have already removed all members of the Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Edition Front End Pool, the pool itself must also be removed as part of the "cleanup".

Please share with us if this helps.

Thanks / rgds,

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com

Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:36 PM

All replies

• If you go to shared components, then PSTN gateways, do you see any gateways that are associated with 2010 mediation pools that should also be removed?  Is your mediation server collocated on the front end pool?  It might be easier to get rid of that mediation pool first if so.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:00 PM
  • I would also refer you to this article with a guy who experienced it.  Like Anthony said, there's a dependency in there somewhere... you just have to find it.  

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2011/01/step-by-step-instructions-for.html

(CTRL + F "pool must contain" and search down)

Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:52 PM
  • Hello ,

I was able to delete the 2010 pool after I delete the pstn gateway from the shared components .

but when I try to publich the topology I get the error :

Error: An error occurred: "System.InvalidOperationException" "Cannot publish topology changes. Route still exists on one or more deleted gateways."

the deleted gateway it was used before with 2010 , and it will be used with 2013 , but for this issue idelete it and later I will add it to lync 2013 pool

any a dive about this error I got now ?

Kind Regards

MK

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Is the mediation role collocated with the front end that you're trying to remove? 

If you find the trunk associated with the PSTN gateway, does it point that that old mediation server?  Can you change that first and publish?

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:37 PM
  • hello

yes the mediation role is collocated with the front end for 2010

yes the trunk was associated with the pstn gateways and it was pointed to the old mediation server .

I deleted the trunks which was linked to the old mediation but I didn't change it to point to the 2013 lync mediation.

what can I do now ?

Regards

MK

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Redownload the topology so you have a fresh copy.  If you go to the 2010 mediation server, do you see any associated trunks?  If so, change those trunks so they're no longer associcated and see if you can publish.  If you can, see if you can remove the mediation role from that server and publish.  If you can do that, see if you can remove the pool again and publish.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:47 PM
  • yes I re download the topology , yes there is associated trunk (4 trunk) , for those trunks still I want to use with me lync 2013.

but I donot know how to change these trunk and canel the association with the 2010 mediaition server and then I want to associate them to the lync 2013 mediation which is collocated with lync 2013 FE.

can you instruct me please how to do it .

Thanks

Regards

MK

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Ok I got it from the trunk EDIT , I will associate all of the trunk to the 2013 FE
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Great, let us know if that publishes.  Take small steps here until you can publish the final step.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

From your description above, after associate these trunks to the Lync Server 2013 Mediation Servers, you should publish topology successfully. If you publish topology with no issue, please not forget to rerun step 2 Setup or Remove Lync Server Components with Lync 2013 Deployment Wizard on Lync Server 2013 FE Servers and Edge Servers.

Best Regards,
    Eason Huang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang

Friday, March 20, 2015 1:20 AM
  • Hello

Now I face an issue when I trying to change the trunk association so that it will be associated to the lync 2013 FE POOL

but I'm not able please check the attached images .

when I try to change the association from the trunk and chose the pool2013 , then the mediation port will automatically go for 5068 with error .

I think the reason that in the mediation for the 2013 pool , the TCP ports under PSTN GATEWAY is not configured only the TLS is configured for port 5067 , BUT TCP IS NOT CONFIGURED ?

shall I go and configure it to use 5060 ?

one more thing I notice now if I run

Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus

UpToDate           : False
    ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-EDGE01.mydom
    LastStatusReport   :
    LastUpdateCreation : 3/23/2015 11:22:17 AM
    ProductVersion     :

UpToDate           : True
    ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-LYNC2013-FE.mydom
    LastStatusReport   : 3/19/2015 5:21:27 PM
    LastUpdateCreation : 3/19/2015 5:21:25 PM
    ProductVersion     : 5.0.8308.556

ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-LYNC-FE-01.mydom
    LastStatusReport   : 3/19/2015 11:38:25 AM
    LastUpdateCreation : 3/23/2015 11:52:17 AM
    ProductVersion     : 4.0.7577.0

Any Advice please

Kind Regards

mk

Monday, March 23, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Yes, configure your 2013 mediation pool for TCP. Use either 5060 or 5068 again. The CMS replication issue is a separate one, have you moved your CMS to 2013 already? The 2010 server has a last update creation, are you still making changes there or only from 2013 server? Can the 2013 server communicate with the internal edge FQDN on port 4443?

Monday, March 23, 2015 11:16 AM
  • hi , Thanks Anthony

Yes the CMS was moved already to 2013 , and later on many time I checked the replication and it was fine , then I deleted the CMS DB FROM 2010 FE and I checked the replication and it was fine .

I just I face this replication issue after I start the process to delete the lync 2010 pool which im stuck on it now .

one more thing while I was trying to delete the 2010 front end pool , I got the error

Error: An error occurred: "System.InvalidOperationException" "Cannot publish topology changes. Conference directories still exist on a pool that would be deleted. Remove the conference directories before continuing."

so I moved the conference directories from 2010 pool to the 2013 pool successfully.

but later on when I check the replication I notice the replication issue ?

I'm not doing any change on 2010 pool now (just try to delete it ) , all the change it is on 2013 pool .

for edge server 2013 I shut down the server since there is another configuration issue there (so replication to edge server not the issue now since it is down).

my question is this will affect my lync 2013 since it is the production now  ? is this un completed steps for removing the 2010 pool affect my production.

Kind Regards

MK

Monday, March 23, 2015 11:47 AM
  • hello;

I just want to make sure I will not face any issue once I start again the process to delete the lync 2010 pool .

I run Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication

UpToDate           : False     """"""""""""""" it is already down """""""""""""""""""""
    ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-EDGE01.mydomain
    LastStatusReport   :
    LastUpdateCreation : 3/23/2015 10:18:22 PM
    ProductVersion     :

ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-LYNC2013-FE.mydomain
    LastStatusReport   : 3/23/2015 10:18:26 PM

ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-LYNC-FE-01.mydomain

======================

UpToDate           : False  """"""""""""""" it is already down """""""""""""""""""""
    ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-EDGE01.mydomain
    LastStatusReport   :
    LastUpdateCreation : 3/23/2015 10:53:23 PM
    ProductVersion     :

ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-LYNC2013-FE.mydomain
    LastStatusReport   : 3/23/2015 10:18:26 PM

ReplicaFqdn        : HQ-LYNC-FE-01.mydomain
    LastUpdateCreation : 3/23/2015 10:53:23 PM

why LastUpdateCreation : 3/23/2015 10:53:23 PM from the lync 2010 pool  ????

Monday, March 23, 2015 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

From your description above, did you mean before deleting the Lync Server 2010 Pool from topology, you found the replication of Lync 2010 FE Server not update to date?

If it is the case, based on my knowledge, there is no affect for Lync Server 2013 Pool. Please double check if Lync Server 2013 Pool work normally, and Lync users in Lync 2013 Pool can use all Lync function without issues. Then you can delete Lync 2010 Pool from Topology and publish it. After finish it, please re-run step 2 on Lync Server 2013 FE Servers.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang  

Eason Huang

• Marked as answer by Mohammed AK Friday, April 3, 2015 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:41 AM
  • I agree.  If 2010 is about to be gone forever and users/objects aren't hosted on it anymore, I wouldn't worry about replication not making it there.  It shouldn't affect your production.  If you want to be sure, you could stop services for a while and see if anyone notices.  I'd just keep at it until it's gone from the topology and it sounds like you're at the final steps!

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:05 PM
  • Hello

Thanks for all the replay .

I start again the process to remove the lync 2010 FE Pool .

due to Microsoft article :

Expand Enterprise Edition Front End pools, expand the Front End pool with the Front End Server that you want to remove, right-click the Front End Server that you want to remove, and then click Delete.

I got the error the pool must contains at least one machine

do I need to follow these step ? what if I go for remove deployment for my mediation role which  is collocated with the front end for 2010 first  ,

then remove the deployment for the 2010 FE .

any Advice

Kind regards

MK

• Edited by Mohammed AK Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:52 AM
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:28 AM
  • Exactly what the error says. Since you have already removed all members of the Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Edition Front End Pool, the pool itself must also be removed as part of the "cleanup".

Please share with us if this helps.

Thanks / rgds,

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com

Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:36 PM
  • successfully I finished the process of removing a Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Edition Front End pool.
    Saturday, April 4, 2015 8:36 AM