none
Error 80004005 & 4203 outlook 2010 hotmail send/receive

Question

• I get the following error during Outlook Send/Receive processing after installing Office 2010.

Task 'wdraven@hotmail.com' reported error (0x80004005) : 'There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web. Error: 4203.'

Was working fine in Office 2007, and can be accessed fine using the web interface to Hotmail.

Monday, May 24, 2010 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you gone to the mail.live.com to check if you have logged off ?

I also meet this error before. Finally I find I still sign in and when I signed out this issue has gone away.

And I also suggest you empty your deleted items. If there is large size email, this issue also may occur.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:18 AM
  • I am also getting this after upgrading to Outlook 2010 and Outlook Connector 14.

Mine is the same text as above but the error code is slightly different:

Task 'xxxx@msn.com' reported error (0x80004005) : 'There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web. Error: 4401.'

I am able to access my mail fine on the web and emptied the deleted items (there were about 25 items in there).

Synchronization seems to be working despite this error - I am receiving email and a calendar item added in Outlook shows up in Windows Live calendar.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:19 PM
  • My experience is that error 4202 occurs if the Junk E-mail Option filtering level in Outlook for the Hotmail account is set to "No Automatic Filter" (since the Hotmail web site has no equivalent option).

Error 4203 occurs if there is an entry in the Safe Senders and/or Safe Recipients list that Outlook Connector and/or Hotmail doesn't like. I don't know what the rules are, but clearing both lists caused the error to go away for me.

• Proposed as answer by Ed Brey Friday, June 04, 2010 4:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for the tip Ed. I was getting the 4401 error and it turned out to be something in my safe senders list causing the error.

Task 'Hotmail' reported error (0x80004005) : 'There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web.  Error: 4401. '

Friday, June 04, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Ed,

Thanks. Cleaning out those lists fixed the problem for me too.

Peter West

All About Windows

www.AllAboutWindows.com

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Bird, I, too am having the same exact issue, and it is an issue presumably known by Microsoft (or should be) insofar as this question is popping up everywhere, on a variety of MSN related forums and elsewhere, such that it's being similarly suffered by (and reported) by countless number of Office (Outlook 2010) users (if not in fact all).

My problem, Peter, began on upgrading to the 2010 program which, as you are aware, must be linked via the connector to Live hotmail. It is a sync bug, and has cost me data loss as well (namely, a subfolder I created in my hotmail ordinarily stored on my computer drive but now, due to the Live link, also online; somewhere in the send/receive transfer, this subfolder (and all of its contents, namely, valuable data in the form of email communications) disappeared, and is not in the local folder / sync issue notification folder (hence, either lost in the ether or in some hidden windows folder which is my hope but remains lost and might as well be in the either so far as I cannot locate it on my system despite searching high and low for it (I have searched, but am not yet fully familiar with the OS (windows 7 premium); meantime, that data is very valuable, and in any event data loss is never a good thing, or at all). I have backed up important information via the tried-and-true "print" (as in, hard copies) functions, but still, the whole point of Live is lost on me if files are lost in a sync malfuntion/bug (i.e., whole point being to move things into a subfolder for easy reference/convenience on Live hotmail (online access so as to work online from any computer when not at home or the office, only to find it's not there as a result of this sync malfunction, having been moved to some hidden folder on my hard drive or, if not, then deleted in its entirety. This is a very problemmatic bug, and a fix is immediately required.

Again, this sync error 4203 only occurred on updating to office 2010 (I intend on downgrading back to Outlook 2007 until such time as this very serious bug is fixed, and/or a work around is found; another user suffereing the same problem like myself is going that route, for this sync error does not occur with the 2007 version (countless others, all on installing the new Office 2010 and linking up the hotmail via the Live Connector, as is required (and yes, I did everything correctly, precisely as instructed so it is not a user error, or at all). Someone else suggested that one simply access their hotmail online, but this in turn necessarily means giving up the (paid for) right ot access one's hotmail account via the Outlook 2010 program; in my case, having paid for my hotmail account (it is not a free account, but paid for 12 months in advance, and each and every year) which I access on my Outlook 2010 program (an integral part of the Office 2010 program, also paid for) on my computer running fully the fully licensed Windows 7 OS, it is very frustrating to consistently suffer sync errors, and especially when same causes data corruption and/or loss. Help in finding/recovering this data would be greatly appreciated, and I thank all in advance who may have an answer, and/or are willing to brain-storm (thanks, and know I throw this out there for no other or improper purpose other than to alert users to this issue, and to seek help and advise in resolving same).

I do not believe but cannot say for certain that the OS (windows 7 Premium) itself isn't a contributing factor to the problem, but I can with certainty say that other set ups to not suffer these or any similar sync problems (i.e., my office machine (running Vista SP3 and OFfice 2007, likewise synced via the connector to Hotmail Live; similarly, Office/Outlook 2003 and prior versions of Windows (vista, xp) do not suffer this sync issue, nor does Windows 7 and Office/Outlook 2007 seem to be suffering it either). Again, and in my case, this, the sync issue ioccurs (and resulting data loss as above noted on one or more such sync errors) on hitting the send/receive on Outlook 2010, properly connected to Live in accordance with the instructions), on the Windows 7 premium OS, and this sync error happens almost each and every time I hit the send/receive.

It was suggested by one user likewise suffering this sync issue with Outlook/Office 2010 and hotmail (on Windows OS 7 home and student, as I recall, hence I do not believe it is the OS, as noted, but strictly an Outlook 2010/Live hotmail connector bug), that we empty our safe/unsafe senders, etc., so as to "sync" everything up (which I did, although this is not an issue on the Outlook 2007/live connector, which over time has become different insofar as the lists are not replicated exactly so far as a "block sender" etc. on the Outlook isn't picked up/copied over by Live online, and vice versa, nor did the Live pick up the "safe" senders I had stored on my Outlook before it was connected (i.e, predates the connector, and not picked up). In any event, I did this, cleared out all lists on both my Outlook 2010 (and also Outlook 2007 running on my other machine), and also online at LIve such that everything was empty; but this, to no avail as it had no effect - the sync issue continues, such that it (clearing the lists and starting "fresh") did not solve the problem, or at all.

I am going to try Office/Outlook 2007 with the Windows 7 OS to see if this for now clears the problem (though it kind of defeats the entire purpose of buying 2010, right? This, until the problem is solved as there are useful things in the 2010 bundle that weren't/aren't in the 2007 package, and reason why of course I bought it, and very much would like to be able to use it, hoping in turn for a fix, and fast to this problem. Again, I am aware that Microsoft is aware of the problem, or at least should be in light of all of the reports; this in turn means that somewhere down the road there will be an Office update, but in the meantime, while we wait for same (again, it is a Outlook 2010 bug as it relates to the Live connector; prior versions do not experience these problems, which bears repeating). In the meantime, I very much appreciate and thank you, Peter, and/or anyone else who can supply us Outlook 2010 users with a fixwork-around, at least until the problem is properly fixed so that I might enjoy my Office 2010 in its full and complete glory so to speak (and any information as to where my lost but presumably hiden (let's hope) data in the form of emails disappeared to is greatly appreciated as well.

I thank everyone for their knowledge and information and/or best guesses in advance. Please know that I appreciate same.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Regrettably, even clearing the safe senders and safe recipients lists did not work as a fix to the 4401 Error.

I think MS should act QUICKLY

Friday, July 02, 2010 10:16 AM
  • What about error code 4350.

Thanks

Kirk

kirk
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:07 AM
  • In addition to Ed's guidance, here is a KB Article that explains the 4203 error, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230602.

• Proposed as answer by Dave Robinson Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:11 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Kirk,

For the 4350 error please try using these steps to resolve it.

Cause:
    The 4350 error may occur when synchronizing junk email lists (Safe Senders, Blocked Senders, Safe Recipients) if the same email address is both in the Safe Senders and in the Blocked senders lists.

Resolution:
    It is possible that the web email has one domain blocked whereas Outlook allows the domain, so the entries should be removed from both sides and then re-added through Outlook once the error is confirmed to stop syncing.

1- In Outlook, navigate to the OLC account by displaying the OLC inbox.
    2- Go to the ribbon, select Junk >> Junk Mail Options.
    3- In the Safe Senders and Blocked Senders tab, look for any addresses or domains that are listed in both lists.
    4- Remove these conflicts from both lists.
    5- If you do not see any conflicts, log onto the Hotmail account on the web.
    6- View your Hotmail inbox and select Options >> More Options to the top right of the inbox.
    7- Under Junk E-mail, select “Safe & Blocked Senders”.
    8- Look for addresses that are listed in both lists and remove them.
    9- Sync Outlook and ensure that the error is gone, if it persists there are more conflicts under the same rules.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:48 PM
  • The 4401 error may appear if there are duplicate addresses/domains existing in the same list.  Please double check your junk mail settings and make sure you do not have duplicate domains or individual entries.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:47 PM
  • This tip on clearing out the Safe Senders, Safe Mailing Lists, and Blocked Senders in Hotmail worked for me and got rid of the problem. Thanks!
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Clearing our the Safe Senders, Safe Mailing Lists, and Blocked Senders in Hotmail solved my Error 80004005 and Code 4402 error. I had checked the lists and the two lists (Hotmail/Outlook) were identical prior to clearing.

The Office 2010 upgrade this past weekened took way too much time trying to understand strange error codes from many parts of the install and this from the connector. I have never had such a bad experience on an Office upgrade.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:43 PM
  • For more explanation of the Send/Recieve errors and how to resolve them please follow this updated KB article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230602.

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:11 PM
  • This resolved error 4203! I just cleaned out all the addresses associated with the error inbox as instructed in your link above,  and the error message is gone. I will assign new ones if needed. My previous list dated back over several years and probably needed to be erased and restarted. Thanks Gabriel.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:25 PM
  • cool it solved my problems to  im so happy :)
    Monday, September 20, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Fully agree, Outlook 2010 is a messy affair and in fact unusable. Errors as 80040126 offline appear constantly, while I never touch the off line button of Outlook for good reasons, you do not want to test the limits and that already seems the limit of Outlook 2010.  Errror 80048051 which is an "unknown error" appears as well. Every second Send/Receive attempt shows one or the other error message and fails totally sending or receiving. A @live.com account seems the problem. Often I cannot log on with my correct account name and password to this account from outside Outlook either with  errror message: either account name or password incorrect. This is going on since I ever made the mistake of signing up for a Live ID many month ago. Accessing this .live account is only possible via Mail Notifier. I set up Mail Notifier with the necessary and correct information about the .live account, then I 'm using a Yahoo account to send a HELLO mail to the .live account and the Mail Notifier is able to open the .live account. I wish I had the time and could be bothered enough I would make a YouTube clip and post it for all to see. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate as well but that is an entirely different story.Good luck to you with Outlook - I stick with Mail Notifier and no more .live account or Live ID for me. I'm truly sick and tired of semi finished products by Microsoft being peddled for good money.
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Solution:

Go to your hotmail account on internet.

Go to edit your undesired or spam mail options

remove all entries on safe sender list

remove all entries on blocked sender list

This worked for me

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:07 PM
  • That's right.  A lot of sites require a computer to be set with the proper date and time before you can access them. Seems to me like a part of their security.

Synchronizing the time is not just the only thing to check when fixing hotmail errors though. In addition to what Mike said, sometimes it has something to do with the browser.. So it's important to have it updated too.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Thanks for that tip, I cleaned all (Safe, Blocked, Mailing ) lists and the error is gone!
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Why should we even have to deal with this when we upgrade?  This is a lot of extra ____ to deal with when installing new software.  Is that too much to ask!!!??  I shouldn't have to delete my whole blocked list because a company can't make sure that two of it's products play nice together.  Where is the testing on this stuff??
    Friday, December 03, 2010 11:53 PM
  • In addition to Ed's guidance, here is a KB Article that explains the 4203 error, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230602.

... as well as 4202, 4304, 4350, 4401, and 4403.
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Both lists are VERY long for me -- how about a tool that would scan them and flag the conflicts for us?

MattB

Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:12 PM
  • I am surprised that this problem has been here for over a year.  Why hasn't Microsoft fixed this extremely annoying bug yet?

I just paid several $100 to upgrade to Office 2010 and ALL of my Microsoft based e-mail accounts (my hotmail & live, our general family live e-mail, and my two young daughter's hotmail and live accounts that I monitor) generate 4401 error messages when I attempt to synchronize them.  According to Microsoft's knowledge base (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230602) this error is generated when Office is attempting to add a safe or blocked e-mail address to the hotmail server that is already there.

How am I supposed to manually figure out which e-mail address is already on the server?  I only installed Office 2010 a couple of days ago.  Isn't Outlook smart enough to download the safe and blocked e-mail addresses from Microsoft's own server and then ensure the address links are maintained in sync?

Could someone from Microsoft please comment on this issue?  Is there an automated method to fix this issue?  I have hundreds of blocked and safe e-mail addresses in each account and I have already spent well over an hour looking through them all to no avail.  Deleting them all and starting over is not a reasonable solution.

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:15 AM
  • I have now manually gone through all of the blocked, safe and safe recipient lists and there is nothing duplicated anywhere - yet I still get error 4401 when attempting to sync. I also deleted a few strange looking addresses that included = signs (entries such as someone=someplace.com@someemailprovider.com). This didn't help either. One "strange" thing I noticed is I unchecked "include contacts" in the safe list and the very next sync didn't generate the 4401 error. On the next sync though, the 4401 errors started showing up again. Re-checking "include contacts" made no difference at this point so I decided to leave it on. One more thing I noticed is there are definitely entries missing on the website that exist within Outlook. This shows that these lists are actually NOT syncing properly. Is there anyone at Microsoft I could send my safe and blocked lists to so you can research and fix the issue once and forall?
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:49 AM
  • honestly this is just broken and i should not have ot do anything in outlook to fix this and i am at a loss that the only thing which works is to

a) remove the profile

b) re-setup the profile

Ill just keep using hotmail on my ipad/iphone and mac at this point, outlook integration is just broken here!

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Thanks Ed,

The error is no longer appearing.

Task ‘Live Account reported error (0x80004005) : ‘There is an error synchronizing your mail account, Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web. Error: 4202.’

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Wow - the error still exists.

I suspect those that are reporting it solved by removing addresses from blocked or safe senders are not using their junkmail at the 'no automatic filtering' level.

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:32 PM