none
Changing IPs on DAG members RRS feed

• Question

• We have an exchange 2013 DAG in production and recently stood up a 3 node ipless 2016 DAG. Both DAGs  span 2 sites and each DAG has 2 nodes in the primary data center and 1 node(ea) in our backup data center. 

We are in the process of moving our primary data center to a new location. Without getting too deep in the details on this, the plan is to move the 2 exchange 2016 nodes to the new data center. Once the new DAG (2016) is stable, migrate all mailboxes and mail flow to the new location and decommission old Exchange 2013 DAG.

So here are my questions. In the new data center I will have to change the IPs on the 2 exchange 2016 DAG members. How do I go about that with the least amount of headaches? I am assuming I can put each of the 2 nodes I intend on moving into maintenance mode and shut them down, then move them. Once in the new location I bring them up and change their IP. I am not sure what this will do to the DAG. Will I first have to evict the nodes from the DAG one at a time to move them and re-IP? 

any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean you want to move 2 servers physically to different site?

If so, you don't have to remove the servers from DAG. As you mentioned above, you need to put the Exchange servers in maintenance mode, shut down and move them to the new site. You can check this for how to Performe maintenance on DAG members. Pay attention that, since you have 3 nodes in your DAG, 2 nodes must be up to get quorum. So you have to configure the alternate witness server in backup data center.

In the new site, you can bring up servers, change the IP addresses for the network adapters and reboot servers. For  other details you have to pay attention to, you can check these blogs: How to Move Exchange Server 2016 DAG Node to Different Active Directory SiteChanging the IP addresses of Exchange 2013 servers in a DAG

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 12, 2019 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean you want to move 2 servers physically to different site?

If so, you don't have to remove the servers from DAG. As you mentioned above, you need to put the Exchange servers in maintenance mode, shut down and move them to the new site. You can check this for how to Performe maintenance on DAG members. Pay attention that, since you have 3 nodes in your DAG, 2 nodes must be up to get quorum. So you have to configure the alternate witness server in backup data center.

In the new site, you can bring up servers, change the IP addresses for the network adapters and reboot servers. For  other details you have to pay attention to, you can check these blogs: How to Move Exchange Server 2016 DAG Node to Different Active Directory SiteChanging the IP addresses of Exchange 2013 servers in a DAG

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 12, 2019 7:20 AM
  • For the sake of this thread the end result is physically moving the servers to the new data center. I went ahead and moved the servers last week. All went well. I did forget to mention that I already had a file share witness setup in our backup data center so we were good there. your post was on the money though. Thanks for your  help.
    Monday, July 15, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Hello.

Before physically move server to Datacenter. Please create and check backup server and DB.

Sometime transportation service can lost your server or HDD storage.

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:44 PM