none
Network File Share RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Every Body

Is there any web part that can be used to explore files on a File Server from the SharePoint Portal site with a proper explorer view and not like not like Page Viewer web part.

Thanks

rocky

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:00 AM

Answers

• Not out of the box there isn't (not that I know of).

If you want to build one yourself it should be pretty easy, using one of two methods:

1) You can use the System.IO namespace to iterate through directories and display file information.

2) You could define a network path as a Search Content Source, and then use the search API to get the file information easily.

If you wanted a fully functional explorer view I would probably go with the first one though.

The only major problems you are going to hit are security permissions.

I'll leave you to work that one out though Wink

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:47 AM

All replies

• Not out of the box there isn't (not that I know of).

If you want to build one yourself it should be pretty easy, using one of two methods:

1) You can use the System.IO namespace to iterate through directories and display file information.

2) You could define a network path as a Search Content Source, and then use the search API to get the file information easily.

If you wanted a fully functional explorer view I would probably go with the first one though.

The only major problems you are going to hit are security permissions.

I'll leave you to work that one out though Wink

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:47 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the tips. Because of time constraint, I was looking for an out of the box solution. Anyway let me pull my sleeve to get on to coding

Thaks again

Regards,

Rocky

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:59 AM