none
Exception HRESULT 0x800401A8 Excel 2013

Question

• I am having continuous problems with this error in my excel 2013 data model workbooks. I have not found any specific action i'm taking that causes it. I often have 2 workbooks open linked to different data models.  The symptoms are:

1. Quite often the powerpivot tab just disappears form the toolbar and I have to go to options/addin uncheck powerivot, close and recheck to make it appear

2. I open a workbook, make some changes, hit save and nothing happens. I go to save as and select a folder and it wont open the folder.  I have to close and lose the work and this error pops up.

I dont know if this is related, but in Excel 2010 i can open 2 processes and they run completely independently i.e. if one is doing a big calcualtion I can work on the other one. in Excel 2013 the 2 processes lock each other up i.e. I cannot work on the 2nd process if the 1st one is doing a data model calculation.   Is the system only capable of supporting one data model at a time which is why I get the error?

I've posted here as no idea if this is a general excel problem or related to the data model (with which i have had enormous problems)

Thanks for any advice

Mike 

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:22 AM

Answers

• For you main problem and the behavior as your post, I was considering it might be caused by the new Excel SDI and want to let you open the Excel in another instance to test the result.

If you have workbooks that take a long time to calculate, or queries that take a long time to run, or extensive macros that take a long time to complete. please rely on having a second instance running so they can continue working on other books while the first instance is busy. Some users need to copy text from one book to another on dual monitors, and simply open two instances for convenience.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

"in Excel 2013 the 2 processes lock each other up"

Please right click the Excel in the toolbar and Hold the "Alt" down, then click the Excel 2013 to open it. We will open a Excel.exe in another instance.

Test if the problem above still persists in this mothed.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:23 AM
  • Why is this differnet to just double clicking the excel icon as that gives me 2 processes?  I'll try it but doesn't make sense that this is the solution. In Excel 2010 as long as you see 2 porcesses in task manager they are independent.

Also any idea on the main error?

Mike

Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Why is this differnet to just double clicking the excel icon as that gives me 2 processes?  I'll try it but doesn't make sense that this is the solution. In Excel 2010 as long as you see 2 porcesses in task manager they are independent.

In Excel 2013, when we double click the Excel icon, all excel file would run in one instance instead of building different instances from the earlier version. That brings a couple of benifits but we would encounter some of issue unexpected.

For the error message, please detail if there is any code including the workbook and how it link to the data models. Thanks. 

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:50 PM
  • When I double click the icon I see 2 excel.exe processes in the task manager, but you are saying really they are one?  Why on earth woudl you do that?  The Alt thing seems ot work, but how woudl anyone know that and why are you are just making life more difficult for users.  Can you expalin the benefit?

I'm not sure what you are asking about the error message.   I actualyl have ot reboot my machine after this. Is Excel 2013 just a piece of junk at the moment as it is more trouble than it is worth so far.

Mike

Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:06 PM
  • To answer your first quesion first, Mike:

The overall appearance is similar to having two instances open in previous versions, but the two windows work together in a single instance. This gives you:

Hot links between windows (different workbook)
    The ability to copy and paste formulas, etc. (different workbook)
    The ability to move and copy sheets between windows(different workbook)

All in all, the new Single Document Interface (SDI) in Excel 2013 makes it easy to work with multiple workbooks. You can even drag the workbooks to different monitors for convenience. You just need to remember that there is only one top-level window and one ribbon UI menu per workbook. This may require that you update any existing code to cache the state of controls and settings as you move from workbook to workbook.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn251093.aspx#odc_xl15_ta_ProgrammingtheSDIinExcel2013_Solutions

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:51 AM
  • For you main problem and the behavior as your post, I was considering it might be caused by the new Excel SDI and want to let you open the Excel in another instance to test the result.

If you have workbooks that take a long time to calculate, or queries that take a long time to run, or extensive macros that take a long time to complete. please rely on having a second instance running so they can continue working on other books while the first instance is busy. Some users need to copy text from one book to another on dual monitors, and simply open two instances for convenience.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Ok Tony. still makes on sense why you changed this. In 2010 if you wanted a new workbook in the same instance you click on new file. If you wanted a new instance you double click the excel icon. Really logical. Just becuase you have made the workbooks floating within the same instance was no reason to change the 2010 key strokes. I bet no one has any idea you have to use alt.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 2:07 PM