none
What is difference between editing host file or creating fqdn for making sharepoint web application work? RRS feed

• Question

• Today I setup my first dev environment. But whenever i simply created a web application and site collection under it, browser would show connection Error. So I researched and found two ways of making it work

- First I added the entry of new web application (host header) into hosts file like 

127.0.0.1      xx.yy.com
    ::1                 xx.yy.com

- For other web application host header i created fqdn going to dns manager... both the ways gave access 

Now I am confused what is differece between these two process? Also do we have to edit host file or dns everytime we create a new web application in real time production environment?

sachin

Monday, January 14, 2013 12:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are using Host header and you want to access the web application through it then you need to add this host header to host file and users access the site locally from the server by host header name or create FQDN from DNS then the users will access the sites from their systems by host header name so in Production you need to use FQDN .

Regards,
    Fadi Abdulwahab, SharePoint Consultant
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fabdulwahab
    http://sqlgoogler.blogspot.com/

• Marked as answer by Xmantra Monday, January 14, 2013 7:49 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 4:52 AM
  • You should use DNS where possible, and hosts file for only testing or very specific networking scenarios.  There is no difference between the two, they map IPs to friendly names, but the host file is looked at before DNS is looked at for name resolution.

For creating Web Applications, yes you'll generally need to make a DNS entry (A record) for each specific Web Application.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:15 AM
  • You don't necessarily have to assign a unique IP per Web Application.  IIS has something called "host header mode" which looks at the host header the browser is requesting ("webapp" or "webapp.company.com") and directs it to the appropriate site.

You *do* need a unique IP when you're using non-Wildcard SSL certificates in IIS 7.5 and lower since IIS has a 1:1 mapping of SSL certificate to hostname.  The way around this is to use a Wildcard SSL certificate ("*.company.com") which will cover any domain underneath company.com.

You do not need to worry about IIS when it comes to Site Collections in a normal deployment.

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are using Host header and you want to access the web application through it then you need to add this host header to host file and users access the site locally from the server by host header name or create FQDN from DNS then the users will access the sites from their systems by host header name so in Production you need to use FQDN .

Regards,
    Fadi Abdulwahab, SharePoint Consultant
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fabdulwahab
    http://sqlgoogler.blogspot.com/

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:52 AM
  • You should use DNS where possible, and hosts file for only testing or very specific networking scenarios.  There is no difference between the two, they map IPs to friendly names, but the host file is looked at before DNS is looked at for name resolution.

For creating Web Applications, yes you'll generally need to make a DNS entry (A record) for each specific Web Application.

-----------------------

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:15 AM
  • Thank you both for your response. Now while i was researching about creating web application in production environment, I found out that its not that easy process to create like in dev environment. You create web application, create the fqdn. Now do we need to assign the ip manually to each web application at iis? If yes  how to do it? Also do we need to configure fqdn and ip per site collection basis or it is only done in web application level?

sachin

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:20 PM
  • You don't necessarily have to assign a unique IP per Web Application.  IIS has something called "host header mode" which looks at the host header the browser is requesting ("webapp" or "webapp.company.com") and directs it to the appropriate site.

You *do* need a unique IP when you're using non-Wildcard SSL certificates in IIS 7.5 and lower since IIS has a 1:1 mapping of SSL certificate to hostname.  The way around this is to use a Wildcard SSL certificate ("*.company.com") which will cover any domain underneath company.com.

You do not need to worry about IIS when it comes to Site Collections in a normal deployment.

-----------------------

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:31 PM
  • Thanks Trevor ..you have been my rescuer in every difficult situation in my quest to learn sharepoint administration. I really appreciate it and if i become a good admin, you would be one of the big reasons. I am also  thankful to others.

sachin

Monday, January 14, 2013 8:16 PM