none
Disabled Users in SharePoint

Question

• Hi,

How should an organization deal with Disabled Users in sharepoint?

We currently import AD profiles into SharePoint and we have filters setup on the import connections so that inactive users from AD will not get imported and we delete the 'missing from import' users on a regular basis. Search is also based on those profiles, so the inactive users don't appear in searches.

But, in the people picker all those users appear as those users are present in the user information list. I'm not saying that we should delete those users as those accounts have references back to sharepoint content but I want to know the best practices in dealing with inactive users and how different organizations deal with inactive users.

thanks!

rani

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hello Ranisk,

Normally, the disabled users may cause issues when you take backups and perform restores in SharePoint. More specifically, there is no way to carry forward these user account information in destination when you do a SharePoint Content Migration.

At the time of the use cases above, SP Admin needs to be supposed to deal with the disabled/deleted accounts, such as transfer these users' permission to the active accounts.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:15 AM
  • Hi rani,

Usually we just do as yours, disabled from Active directory and setup filters on the import connections to exclude them in SharePoint. 

You do not need to worry about that they are in the user information list. This is normal. Disabled users are never removed from the UIL automatically. In fact, even when you delete them from a site collection, they remain in the content database's UserInfo table with an IsDeleted = true.

You can configure your people picker to filter the disabled users out, refer to below article for more information:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf221de4-01db-4c2d-8881-4c8538e114bc/user-information-list-people-picker-with-deleteddisabled-accounts?forum=sharepointadminprevious

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:42 AM
  • When I checked the filter on people picker with netmon, I can see that it is already setup to filter disabled users with (!(BIT_AND :(userAccountControl)&2))

I believe that we are filtering disabled users from AD from the above filter. But how to filter users from UIL?

Thanks.

rani

Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Hi rani,

If you have several disable users, you can remove them from User Information List manually using below method:

https://www.sharepointfire.com/2013/10/remove-users-from-user-information-list/

If you want to deleting users from UIL in bulk, please read the following blog from Nico Martens:

https://sharepointrelated.com/2012/10/11/remove-users-from-user-information-list/ 

Of course, there are some third-party products, that can find and remove users from the UIL that are disabled/deleted automatically. 

Just selecting one of above method based on your own situation.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, November 9, 2018 2:50 AM
  • Hi Allen Bai,

That process will delete the users from UIL. Instead of deleting I guess I'm looking for a way to filter from people picker.

rani

Friday, November 9, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Hi rani,

Trevor answered in below article mentioned a third-party tool that can find and remove users from the UIL that are disabled/deleted automatically, you may have a look:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf221de4-01db-4c2d-8881-4c8538e114bc/user-information-list-people-picker-with-deleteddisabled-accounts?forum=sharepointadminprevious

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Monday, November 12, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Hi rani,

How are things going?

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum. Also others will directly see the answer.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Friday, November 16, 2018 1:55 AM
  • Hi rani,

Is there any update? I am willing to hear from you.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:47 AM