2 Edge + 2 Hub Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Just a basic question I think. I will have 2 Edge Servers in a DMZ and 2 Hub Server in the internal network. Both hub servers will be in the same site. The edge servers are also in the same site, although not a part of the active directory domain.

what i would like to know is how I do the edge subscription process. Do i run a new subscription on each edge server and then import that subscription to each hub server... so effectively each hub server gets 2 edge subscriptions imported (this makes the most sense to me as each hub server then knows about each edge server and can send to either or) or do i run a new subscription on edge1 and import to hub1 and then run a new subscription on edge2 and import to hub2... which to me seems not such a good idea becuase if for example edge2 fell over then hub2 wouldnt know where to send mail to???

I'm struggling to understand how it all becomes resilient when for example one of the edge or hub servers fall over

Thanks

Dryv

Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Dryv,

Unlike Exchange 2003, from Exchange Sever 2007 has done away with the manual configuration of administrative groups and Routing Group, they are now bound within an Active Directory site.

In your scenario, create subscription from each edge server  and import them into either hub server, then they works.

By the way, a point should be mention:

One or more edge server could be subscripted to a single Active Directory Site, but an edge server can’t be subscripted to more than one Active Directory site.

More detail from : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124096(EXCHG.80).aspx

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, August 6, 2010 9:14 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:14 AM

All replies

• Edge servers are subscribed to an AD "site".  Not a specific HT server.  You'd create 2 subscriptions.  One from each edge server and then import them both on one HT server.  The other HT will be come "aware" of it because it's in the same site.

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Friday, July 23, 2010 12:10 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response... just out of interest then (i havent yet read the link you have provided above) what if my Hub Transport servers where in different sites, i.e. different datacentres, so for example edge1 and hub1 in datacentre1 and edge2 and hub2 in datacentre2?

Thanks again

Dryv

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:25 AM
  • First, let's make sure we agree on the definition of a "site".  Above you stated that your edge servers were not in AD, but in the same "site".

A site, is an AD definition comprised of subnets which generally represent physical locations or well-connected links.  Therefore a computer that is not in the domain cannot be part of the same "site" since sites are IN AD.

But I assume you just meant same building, so I didn't say anything before.

But as to your question - if you had a HT in a seperate site, and wanted edge servers to communicate with it, you'd need to create a new subscription for THAT site.  Of course you'd also need a HT in that site too. 

Note, edge servers can only be subscribed to a single site at a time.

read:

Subscribing the Edge Transport Server to the Exchange Organization
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125236(EXCHG.80).aspx

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Friday, July 23, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks again... You make a good point about AD Sites... what i meant was at the AD Site configuration we have an overall subnet that defines what subnets make up that site i.e. DATACENTRE1 might have an IP subnet as 192.168.0.0/16. This is what is defined in AD... then off of this multiple subnets for different purposes (App Servers, DB Servers, Web Server, DMZ Servers etc etc) are created and of course one of these might be the DMZ subnets that the Edge Servers are in... They wont be part of the AD but are within the IP Subnet that defines that site in AD... does that make sense? 

I think I understand what you;re saying though so it makes sense to me.

Dryv

Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Hi Dryv,

Unlike Exchange 2003, from Exchange Sever 2007 has done away with the manual configuration of administrative groups and Routing Group, they are now bound within an Active Directory site.

In your scenario, create subscription from each edge server  and import them into either hub server, then they works.

By the way, a point should be mention:

One or more edge server could be subscripted to a single Active Directory Site, but an edge server can’t be subscripted to more than one Active Directory site.

More detail from : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124096(EXCHG.80).aspx

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, August 6, 2010 9:14 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:14 AM