Transfer MS Office2016 from old to new laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I bought MS Office 2016 online and installed on my older laptop which I gave to my son with the MS Office still installed. I purchased a new laptop and use the MS Office 365 that was offered on the new laptop. The Office 365 is set to expire after a year. Can I transfer the MS Office from my first laptop onto my second laptop and if so how can this be done? 
    Monday, May 18, 2020 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi wingame,

You can transfer the MS Office from your first laptop to your second laptop.

According to your description, you purchased MS Office 2016 online.

You need to remember the account number you used to purchase Office 2016.

In addition, you should also remember theproduct key.

When you need to install office in your second device, you need touninstall office on your original device first .

More information:

Get help installing Office 2019, 2016, or 2013

Activate after reinstalling or moving Office

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 2:29 AM
  • Hi

Would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue?

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Monday, May 25, 2020 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Itch Sun

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:29 AM
  • Would the office product key be found on the original computer that has the MS office installed? And where would it be found?

LM Tamaki

Friday, July 24, 2020 11:55 PM
  • Would the office product key be found on the original computer that has the MS office installed? And where would it be found?

LM Tamaki

No it cannot. Office 2016 and other similar online purchases are electronic entitlements, stored digitally in your cloud account, at the time of purchase. To access that, use the cloud account where your purchase was made :)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, July 25, 2020 12:58 PM