none
Winword.exe application error

Question

• Hello,

I get the following application error in Winword.exe:

The instruction at "0x074e3ded" referenced memory at "0x07553560". The memory could not be "read".

This application error accurse on many pc's.
    There is no event registrar in the eventviewer.

Kind regards.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Sally,

Unfortunately the clean boot doesn’t work.

Did install a new version of our virus software, even deleted the software but that also didn’t work.

Is there any other way we could find why this errors still appears in my business environment?

Strange enough the error usually appears when we close outlook, in the process explorer I see that the process of Outlook is closed, then after a few seconds the error appears, press OK and then the process Winword closes.
    Maybe this kind of information will help in any way!

Martin.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for contacting Word IT Pro Discussions Services. 

From your description, I understand that  you encountered the following error in Winword.exe on many computers:

The instruction at "0x074e3ded" referenced memory at "0x07553560". The memory could not be "read".

If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Before we go further, I would like to confirm the exact version of your Office program and your operating system.

Based on the current situation, this issue might be related to many factors, such as software conflicts, virus affecting. In most cases, the memory problem can be resolved by add the related application to the DEP exception list.

At this time, I suggest trying to add Word.exe to the DEP exception list.

To add an application to the DEP exception list, try the steps below:

==========

1.       In Windows XP, right click on My Computer, and choose Properties. Click the Advanced tab.

In Windows Vista/Windows 7, right click on Computer and choose Properties. On the left pane, Advanced system settings. Click the Advanced tab.

2.       Click the settings.. button under Performance.

3.       In the Performance Options window, click the Date Execution Prevention tab.

4.       Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:

5.       Click the Add button, and browse to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 or others, depending on your versions of the Office program.

6.       Choose Word.exe and click OK to save the settings.

Check the issue again. If the problem persists, we can also try to turn off the DEP settings.

In the steps above, select Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.

Is the problem resolved now?

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Thursday, July 01, 2010 3:02 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

Monday, July 05, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Thank you Sally for your information.

Unfortunately I did not see your first message.
    I will try this asap and I will let you know if it works.

For your information: Windows XP Version 5.1 SP3 with Office 2003 SP3.

With kind regards,
    MvdV

Monday, July 05, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

Monday, July 05, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for contacting Word IT Pro Discussions Services. 

From your description, I understand that  you encountered the following error in Winword.exe on many computers:

If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Before we go further, I would like to confirm the exact version of your Office program and your operating system.

Based on the current situation, this issue might be related to many factors, such as software conflicts, virus affecting. In most cases, the memory problem can be resolved by add the related application to the DEP exception list.

At this time, I suggest trying to add Word.exe to the DEP exception list.

To add an application to the DEP exception list, try the steps below:

==========

1.       In Windows XP, right click on My Computer, and choose Properties. Click the Advanced tab.

In Windows Vista/Windows 7, right click on Computer and choose Properties. On the left pane, Advanced system settings. Click the Advanced tab.

2.       Click the settings.. button under Performance.

3.       In the Performance Options window, click the Date Execution Prevention tab.

4.       Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:

5.       Click the Add button, and browse to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 or others, depending on your versions of the Office program.

6.       Choose Word.exe and click OK to save the settings.

Check the issue again. If the problem persists, we can also try to turn off the DEP settings.

In the steps above, select Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.

Is the problem resolved now?

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Hello Sally,

Did not solve the problem with steps 1 to 6.
    What else could we do?

Regards,
    Martin.

Monday, July 05, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that the problem persists.

Based on the current situation, some of the Office components are corrupted. Please try to repair the Office program from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7), locate the Office program and choose Change. Then Repair.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestions? If there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.  

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:53 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that the problem persists.

Based on the current situation, some of the Office components are corrupted. Please try to repair the Office program from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7), locate the Office program and choose Change. Then Repair.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Hello Sally,

Did not receive any notification through e-mail.
    When I choose to repair Office, what will happen with my settings (configuration)?

Greetings,
    Martin.

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:14 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Hi Sally,

I've tried to repair Office11.
    Unfortunately the error still remains.
    Are there any other solutions?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

I found several similar issues are resolved by reinstalling the operating system and then the Office program:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/2000/Q_20563289.html

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/winwordexe-application-error/46252.html

Please Note: Since the web sites are not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:13 AM
  •  

Hi,

Is the problem resolved?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 6:45 AM
  •  

Hi,

Is the problem resolved?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Hi Sally,

Strange, did not recieve a notification from post Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:13 AM (alert me when someone responds to this post is activited)
    Thank you for you reply but it's not possible to reinstall all pc's and office.
    Is there no other why this problem accurs?

Kind regards,
    Martin.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

You can also test this issue in the clean boot mode to see if it is caused by software conflicts.

Test in Clean boot Mode

===============

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1.       Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2.        Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3.       Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This should not affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

What’s the result now?

How to return from the Clean Boot state

--------------------------

After the troubleshooting, we can return from the clean boot state:

1.       Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2.       On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".

3.       Click OK. Click Restart when you are prompted to restart your computer.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Hi Martin,

What’s the result now?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:35 AM
  •  

Hi,

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Hi Sally,

I'm back from a holiday.

Tried msconfig and did solve my problem.
    I will now check which service is responsible from the error.

I will let you now asap.

Beste Regards,
    Martin.

Monday, August 30, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Hi Martin,

I am glad to hear that clean boot works.

We can enable the programs and services one by one to see which one causes the issue.

Thank you for your patience.

Sally Tang

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Hi Sally,

Unfortunately the clean boot doesn’t work.

Did install a new version of our virus software, even deleted the software but that also didn’t work.

Is there any other way we could find why this errors still appears in my business environment?

Strange enough the error usually appears when we close outlook, in the process explorer I see that the process of Outlook is closed, then after a few seconds the error appears, press OK and then the process Winword closes.
    Maybe this kind of information will help in any way!

Martin.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:03 PM
  • So how do I fix it simply?
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I asked for a simple answer since am not an expert.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thank you Sally but I really am not expert enough. This surely is a problem that Microsoft itself should solve? I not aware that I have done anything wrong so surely it's a system problem?#

Derrick

Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:59 PM
  • You see this... instruction at "0x074e3ded" referenced memory at "0x07553560" ... means nothing to me, it's just a series of hieroglyphics!

Derrick

Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:01 PM
  • hello there...

im getting an error that words is running an error that shuts down Microsoft words and wont repair it because it says that I need a modern windows 7 or higher and I have windows 8 right now and I keep doing the same error and excel power point and one note open up with no problems. The version I have is office 365 can anyone help me with this problem that im having with words???

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:34 PM