none
how to change the Description field for my issue list from "Rich Text" to "Enhanced Rich Text"

Question

• I am working on a sharepoint server 2013 enterprise edition. and i have added a new Issue list inside my Team site.

now by defualt the issue tracking list comes with a field named "Description", but this "Description" field does not allow adding Images and tables inside it,since it is of type "Rich Text".

so now i want to allow this Description field to allow having images and tables, so i find these approaches:-

1. to update the Description field at the site level,change its type from "Rich Text" to "Enhanced Rich Text", and chose to update all the underlying list columns.

2. or to leave the site column as is, and to update the Description at the list level.

3. to create a new custom column of type enhanced rich text instead of updating the built-in Description column.

now i know that each appraoch have some limitations, as follow:

1. First appraoch might not be very reliable as modifying built-in site columns should be avoided in general, because my customization might be overridden when installing sharepoint updates or upgrading our farm.

2. Following appraoch 2 , will complicate the process of managing my columns, because i will be managing my columns at each list separately.

3. following the third appraoch will mean more time and time,, and I will only follow it if the first 2 approaches will not work in my case...

so can anyone adivce which appraoch we need to follow and why.. to update the built-in Description field to be of type "Enhanced Rich Text" ??

second question. generally speaking when installing sharepoint updates such as install CUs , can these updates override the column settings at the list level ?? or it will only override the column settings at the site level? or it might override the column setting at the site level and update the underlying list columns ...

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We can create a new site column and select the type "Enhanced Rich Text", then add the new site column into lists then move the default Description field data into the new column using code (PowerShell or C# code).

Using this method, you don't worry about like upgrade, install CUs or migration.

Add the new site column to list using the code snippet below:

using (SPSite site = new SPSite("http://sp2013/sites/team"))
    {

using (SPWeb web = site.OpenWeb())
    	{
    		try
    		{
    			SPList list = web.Lists["CustomList"];
    			list.Fields.Add(web.AvailableFields["MyDescription"]);
    			list.Update();                      
    		}
    		catch (Exception ex)
    		{
    			string msg = ex.Message;
    		}
    	}
    }

To update list item, we can use the code snippet below:

{

{
    		SPListItem item = list.Items.GetItemById(1);
    		item["MyDescription"] = item["Description"];
    		item.Update();                    
    	}
    }

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

We can create a new site column and select the type "Enhanced Rich Text", then add the new site column into lists then move the default Description field data into the new column using code (PowerShell or C# code).

Using this method, you don't worry about like upgrade, install CUs or migration.

Add the new site column to list using the code snippet below:

{

{
    		try
    		{
    			list.Fields.Add(web.AvailableFields["MyDescription"]);
    			list.Update();                      
    		}
    		catch (Exception ex)
    		{
    			string msg = ex.Message;
    		}
    	}
    }

To update list item, we can use the code snippet below:

{

{
    		SPListItem item = list.Items.GetItemById(1);
    		item["MyDescription"] = item["Description"];
    		item.Update();                    
    	}
    }

Best Regards,

Dennis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

so you are against modifying builtin columns either at the site level or at the list level ?? now when it comes to other fields such as Priority or Category and i wanted to have different choices rather thna the built-in ones,,then for these drop-down lists, i always hide the built-in site columns and define my own custom Priority and custom category site columns...

But in the Description field case i find that the built-in search service rely on this column,,, for example when i search for  list item ,, the search service will show the following result (Item Title,Item Description, URL) as follow:-

so now if i hide the built-in Desertion field and i define my own custom description,, will the search service still display the item description (now based on my test SharePoint service was clever enough to start showing the new custom description field inside the search result).. but to be honest i am not sure how SP chose my new custom description field to be displayed inside the search result automatically, without require me to do any modifications to the search service???

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:25 PM
  • Hi John,

We can modify the search result template and use the new custom description.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hi John,

We can modify the search result template and use the new custom description.

Best Regards,

Dennis

but this is not my question exactly as i mentioned before ...  based on my test SharePoint search service was smart enough to start showing the new custom description field inside the search result.. but to be honest i am not sure how SP chose my new custom description field to be displayed inside the search result automatically, without require me to do any modifications to the search service?

so you are saying that we can modify the search result temple to show the new custom description field,, but seems sharepoint will do this automatically... but i am not sure how this is being implemented internally by sharepoint? i hope this clarify my question better..

• Edited by johnjohn123 Thursday, May 04, 2017 11:45 PM
    Thursday, May 04, 2017 11:44 PM