none
Change SharePoint 2013 Web Application to Classic Authentication RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello All,

How do I Change Claims Authentication in SharePoint 2013 to Classic Authentication in PowerShell

Mike Williams

SharePoint Engineer - Mike

Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:44 PM

All replies

• Once you migrate to claims, moving back to classic isn't supported. Why do you want to make this change?

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:16 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Open the SharePoint PowerShell using your SharePoint admin account(run as administrator) and run the below command for your specific web application:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$webAppURL = "http://sp2013.dev.com/"
    $accountid = "Domain\SPAdmin"

#Get the web application
    $webApp = Get-SPWebApplication $webAppURL
    #convert claim based authentication to classic mode authentication in SharePoint 2013.
    $webApp.UseClaimsAuthentication = $false
    $webApp.Update()

Thanks&Regards,

Habibur Rahaman

MCSA,MCP,MCTS

My Certificates

Note: If you feel the proposed answer is helpful, please mark as so or if this answered your question,please mark as answer.

• Edited by Habibur Rahaman Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:23 PM Added more info
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:22 PM
  • Agree with Trevor, I don't think reverting back to classic from claims in SharePoint 2013 is not supported.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:25 PM
  • It's riskier to change a SharePoint 2010 that's in Production and being used by user to Claims by PowerShell. The SharePoint 2013 Site is up and running, but it's Claims Authentication.

Mike W

Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:32 PM
  • That did not work Sharath. I verified the database is not read-only, but in an availability group and synchronized. 

Error:

Exception calling "update" with "0" argument(s): "Failed to update database "WSS_Content" because the database is read-only.

Mike W

Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:41 PM
  • See the note at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/upgrade-and-update/migrate-from-classic-mode-to-claims-based-authentication-in-sharepoint-2013.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:44 PM