none
SharePoint online: Can users keep their own personal email addresses? RRS feed

• Question

• We are a non-profit agency, and I am trying to determine the best way to use Office 365 SharePoint to facilitate communication and collaboration with our board of directors and committees who are all volunteers. I am able to assign them E1 licenses. However, they want to use their own existing email addresses, not have to manage a new email address. Important functionality:

1. Send email to groups pre-configured groups (e.g. all board members, finance committee members, etc.)
    2. Access documents
    3. See a calendar of meetings/events

Every option I've considered seems to come with some drawbacks. Adding them as external users doesn't give me the ability to use Groups or Site Mailboxes to manage communication. Giving them E1 licenses doesn't allow them to use their own personal email addresses.

Any advice on how best to configure this? Thanks!

Friday, April 3, 2015 1:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• set them up as O365 (specifically SPO) users without a mailbox (instead, just configure their account to forward to whatever email they tell you they want to use).

that said, the information that may go out in those emails, to those PERSONAL mailboxes... someone should evaluate the RISK of the approach... but technically quite easy.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, April 3, 2015 1:55 PM
  • I should clarify... doing this will give them access to SP resources... NOT to exchange resources, such as coworkers' calendars

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, April 3, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Scott. However, I'm not sure I follow. Can you off some steps as to how set someone up? Thank you!
    Friday, April 3, 2015 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

You can set them up as O365 (specifically SPO) users, assign them E1 licenses and a mailbox. Then configure their mailbox to forward to whatever email address that they want to use.

Refer to the following steps:

Go to Admin Center->Users->Active Users->Create a new user->Edit-> Make sure the user have E1 licenses and an Email adrees:

Then Go to the user's mailbox->OPtions->Forwarding to whatever email address that they want to use:

Refer to the post:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/exchange/2191.how-to-forward-email-in-office-365.aspx

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:00 AM