none
I cannot install any MSI files Windows 7 Home Premium.

Question

• Hi,

I have searched forums and have not found anything to fix this problem... I can't even install Office!

I get the following error when trying to open any MSI file:

"Windows Installer"

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and you can access it, or cantact the application vendor to verify that it is a valid Windows Installer Package.

Please help me with this microsoft!

Regards,

Eddy

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Eddy,

Based on Sai Siva Kumar's suggestion, Please try the following methods to solve this issue:

Method 1: Create a new user account

• To open User Accounts, click the Start, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.
        • Click Manage another account.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
        • Click Create a new account.
        • Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

For your information, please review this article Create a user account to learn more about how to create a new user account.

Method 2: Change Environment Variables

1. Right click Computer from the start menu, select Properties and click Advanced System Settings on the left.
    2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button on the bottom
    3. Under User Variables, select TEMP and click the Edit button
    4. Change the location for Variable Value to the desired location ( i.e. C:\TEMP) and click OK
    5. Do the same thing for TMP  and click OK.

What’s more, it would be helpful for future troubleshooting if you could help to collect the following information:

1. Did Windows work fine before? If so, what did you do after it worked fine last time? For example, installed some software or changed some settings.
    2. Have you done some troubleshooting? If so, please tell us what you have done and the results to help us collect more useful information.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:07 AM

All replies

• run those apps as administrator by right clicking on it..Open a command prompt with admin rights by clicking Start, Run, typing cmd into the search/run box, and hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. At the prompt, type:
    net user administrator /active:yes
    Then log out of your regular account and back in as the administrator, where you should be able to install the program. When you're done, log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the administrator account using:
    net user administrator /active:no...

else c this link..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s09COXeVRGo

http://kb.gfi.com/articles/SkyNet_Article/Error-The-installation-package-could-not-be-opened-when-attempting-to-install-VIPRE?retURL=%2F&popup=true

Sai Siva Kumar

• Edited by don'zz Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:47 AM
    • Proposed as answer by don'zz Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:47 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi Eddy,

Based on Sai Siva Kumar's suggestion, Please try the following methods to solve this issue:

Method 1: Create a new user account

• To open User Accounts, click the Start, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.
        • Click Manage another account.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
        • Click Create a new account.
        • Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

For your information, please review this article Create a user account to learn more about how to create a new user account.

Method 2: Change Environment Variables

1. Right click Computer from the start menu, select Properties and click Advanced System Settings on the left.
    2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button on the bottom
    3. Under User Variables, select TEMP and click the Edit button
    4. Change the location for Variable Value to the desired location ( i.e. C:\TEMP) and click OK
    5. Do the same thing for TMP  and click OK.

What’s more, it would be helpful for future troubleshooting if you could help to collect the following information:

1. Did Windows work fine before? If so, what did you do after it worked fine last time? For example, installed some software or changed some settings.
    2. Have you done some troubleshooting? If so, please tell us what you have done and the results to help us collect more useful information.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Gentlemen I have tried all of you suggestions above but still no cigar.  I can't tell you when it started happening as I have downloaded and installed many MS and other apps including "Fix it" in the past.  OMG was I surprised to find there "IS" a secret "Administrator" account that I've never heard of before so even if MS states that my account is an administrator account it really isn't. :) :) :)

You all are too funny at times.  Anyway; still can't install or run any .exe or .msi programs today no matter what I do.

So I guess I have to spend a whole day backup, re-install and wait for the 150 updates to download and install right?

What a company

Friday, February 27, 2015 3:49 PM