none
SharePoint Licensing - Migration from Enterprise to Standard farm RRS feed

• Question

• Company A sold subsidiary company B to company C. Company A has SharePoint 2010 enterprise version with all enterprise features turned off. Company B has some site collections in company A SharePoint farm which needs to be migrated to company C.

Question:

Company C wants to go for standard version of SharePoint. Is there going to be any issues when we restore of site collections in standard version of SharePoint farm? Please note we are not restoring any databases. We are building a new farm in Company C and just restoring site collections of company B.

Appreciate any help

• Edited by ViviSP Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:22 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:22 PM

Answers

• No, it's not supported in the way you describe Waqas. You cannot take Site Collection backups/exports/Content Databases from Enterprise farms to Standard farms.

Content migration is the only supported method.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by ViviSP Friday, March 3, 2017 3:19 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:42 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can do it as you are building the new farm. 

I am doubted if Backup of enterprise site collection to restore into Standard edition farm. But i am sure it works in case of content database detach / attach method.

Ensure all Enterprise Features are deactivated and any Enterprise web parts are deleted from pages before moving to a Standard environment.

Another method is using the 3rd party tool to migrate the content from enterprise to standard.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/54d9c71d-dbdb-4a49-90bd-66541bd44337/is-it-possible-to-upgrade-from-sharepoint-2010-enterprise-trial-to-sharepoint-2010-standard-license?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -Waqas Sarwar(MVP) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:33 PM
  • No, it's not supported in the way you describe Waqas. You cannot take Site Collection backups/exports/Content Databases from Enterprise farms to Standard farms.

Content migration is the only supported method.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by ViviSP Friday, March 3, 2017 3:19 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:42 PM
  • @Trevor, I know about the site collection backup/export is not supported...But i think content database is supported as i read in one of the support.office article for old SharePoint version.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -Waqas Sarwar(MVP) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:07 PM
  • We don't have any custom solutions and as far as I know we don't use any enterprise features. We might have some custom InfoPath forms and OOB Workflows.

All we want to migrate to company C is just the content(Lists & Libraries) and permissions.

• Edited by ViviSP Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:16 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:12 PM
  • Best way is use the 3rd party to migrate the content.

As trevor said that content DB migration also not supported.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:38 PM
  • Thank you Trevor Seward(for answering it on two portals) & Waqas Sarwar for taking time to answer my question. I will post my experience once we do the migration.

• Edited by ViviSP Friday, March 3, 2017 3:22 PM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 3:22 PM
  • I think the first questions would be:

Are there activated and used enterprise features on the site collections B ?

If yes, do we have to keep them for business requirements ? Then if not, just deactivate them and backup/restore as usual.

It is possible to have separate CALs standard and enterprise ones into a same farm. You just have to prove the conformity of user quotas. The site collections level is good granularity for licensing seggregation.

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:38 PM