none
MS16-004 replaces mscomctl.ocx and causes incompatibility errors in Treeview RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Last week we received update MS16-004 and this caused problems in our software (VBA). We use Treeviews from mscomctl.ocx and on systems that are not up-to-date, our addin gives errors: "could not load object because it is not available on this machine".

Our systems are up-to-date and when we save our addin, it stops working for our customers. We have numerous customers that have a slow update policy (IT wants to test every update first for problems). This means we can never supply our customers with updated versions.

This is the fourth time that Microsoft has screwed up an mscomctl.ocx update. The usual fixes do not work:

• Deleting all the EXD files
    • Reregistering the OCX

The up-to-date systems do run older Addins, but older systems cannot run the newly saved addins.

Is there a way to make to newly saved addins work on the not up to date machines? The simple answer "update all machines" obviously does not work, because we are not in control of the machines of all our customers (500+).

Why is the new mscomctl.ocx not backwards compatible (again!).

Ronald

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which Office product is mainly affected?

I'm now doing research on this topic, but as I'm not a VBA expert, it may take me some time.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Hello Melon,

Our software is a Word AddIn and we have seen the problemes (so far) in Word 2010 and Word 2013.

We saved our addin (DOTM) in Word 2013 with the new mscomctl.ocx and got the mentioned errors in Word 2010 and Word 2013 on machines with the old mscomctl.ocx.

Ronald

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

Last week we received update MS16-004 and this caused problems in our software (VBA). We use Treeviews from mscomctl.ocx and on systems that are not up-to-date, our addin gives errors: "could not load object because it is not available on this machine".

Our systems are up-to-date and when we save our addin, it stops working for our customers. We have numerous customers that have a slow update policy (IT wants to test every update first for problems). This means we can never supply our customers with updated versions.

This is the fourth time that Microsoft has screwed up an mscomctl.ocx update. The usual fixes do not work:

• Deleting all the EXD files
    • Reregistering the OCX

The up-to-date systems do run older Addins, but older systems cannot run the newly saved addins.

Is there a way to make to newly saved addins work on the not up to date machines? The simple answer "update all machines" obviously does not work, because we are not in control of the machines of all our customers (500+).

Why is the new mscomctl.ocx not backwards compatible (again!).

Ronald

We have the same issue, 100s of customers with 1000s of users.  
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

I'm aware that some users are affected by this update, I will report this issue soon.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Hi Melon,

Can you tell me if there is something to report yet, it's been over a month now and there is still no update.

Ronald

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:24 PM
  • Hello,

I found something crazy but it works...
    1) Create backup of you MSCOMCTL.OCX file
    2) Open any Office application, for example Excel
    3) Go to Macros (Alt+F11)
    4) Tools -> References
    5) Browse
    6) Switch to OCX files and navigate to SYSWOW64 folder

Now the crazy point in window called Add Reference just find file MSCOMCTL.OCX and see date of change or right click and goes to properties, check the file version.

Find the same file using windows explorer, or commander or any other browsing software and check file change date and version. In our cases we saw different file version in windows browser (the new one) and in "Add Reference" window (old one).

7) In window "Add Reference" just delete the MSCOMCTL.OCX file with incorrect date.
    8) Now it works

If not copy you backup file into window "Add Reference" (you do not need to add reference) because file should be registered).

What I do not understand is how it is posible to see two different versions of same file, in same location at same system :-/.

If some discover way how to do this at multiple PCs not manually, then it would be great :-)

M@

Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Ronald, I am also a victim of the ongoing mscomctl32.ocx debacle. I have thousands of customers running my VB6 program, FastTrack for the web. SOme are no longer able to used the Treeview control. The problem is usually associated with the presence of any Office 2010 component. Here is my observed history since 2012.

Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit has never had a problem even with Office 2010 installed. All Windows 8.0 had a problem. Upgrading to Windows 8.1 fixed the problem for everyone, but as MS began upgrading 8.1 with the Windows 10 shared libraries, those 8.1 systems with Office 2010 began having problems. Upgrading a broken Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 has not fixed the problem.

No Amazon Cloud machine exhibits a problem. Amazon offers Windows 2003 through Windows 2012 Server machines that can be used for a few hours and then deleted after testing is complete. No virtual XP machine running under Windows 8.1 or 10 or server has ever had a problem even with Office 2010 installed.

Problems first began in 2012. Microsoft has made fixes and some blog fixes worked. But it has been erratic. In the past month I have begun getting reports of problems again from new computers. I have noted that the computer vendors (like Best Buy) are adding old packages of free/trialware  which when upgraded cause problems. A fresh install from the new "pay for" Windows 10 DVD seems to run fine when doing a complete reinstall preserving NONE of the prior disk content.

Hope this additional feedback is helpful.

Friday, August 5, 2016 4:51 PM
  • The help offered about adding references seems to be  simply to re registering mscomctl.OCX. Only problem is. There are no instructions (1)suggesting what version is correct (2) no testing to see if the fix works (3) no follow-up. It didn't work for me. The problem happens when a user installs Office 10, installs roboForm, or buys a  new computer with "Free" installed programs. ALL MS Surface machine have the problem which cannot be fixed by any means. Most other new PCs work out of the box until the buyer installs older software and Windows upgraded.

This problem began in 2012 

Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:20 PM