none
How to tag internal and external email? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As a security measure I would like to insert a tag at the top of all emails identifying them to be external or internal. Is there a way to do this with transport rules? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Monday, June 13, 2016 3:49 PM

Answers

• You should be able to use "prepend the subject of a message..."

1. Go to Mail flow > Rules.
    2. New > select Create a new rule…
    3. In the New rule dialog box, name the rule, and then select the conditions and actions for this rule:
    4. In Apply this rule if… select The sender > Is external/internal > Select Outside the organization > OK
    5. In Do the following… select Prepend the subject of the message with… > Specify your prefix (EXTERNAL) > OK
    6. Click Save

Do the same for internal messages, but select Inside the Organization.

Blog: http://exchangeitup.blogspot.com

Twitter: @ExchangeITup

• Marked as answer by BrueNET Monday, June 13, 2016 8:11 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 6:06 PM

All replies

• You should be able to use "prepend the subject of a message..."

1. Go to Mail flow > Rules.
    2. New > select Create a new rule…
    3. In the New rule dialog box, name the rule, and then select the conditions and actions for this rule:
    4. In Apply this rule if… select The sender > Is external/internal > Select Outside the organization > OK
    5. In Do the following… select Prepend the subject of the message with… > Specify your prefix (EXTERNAL) > OK
    6. Click Save

Do the same for internal messages, but select Inside the Organization.

Blog: http://exchangeitup.blogspot.com

Twitter: @ExchangeITup

• Marked as answer by BrueNET Monday, June 13, 2016 8:11 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 6:06 PM
  • Hello,

As a security measure I would like to insert a tag at the top of all emails identifying them to be external or internal. Is there a way to do this with transport rules? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If the senders name is resolved to Display Name in Outlook, the message is authenticated.

Note that external means "Unauthenticated", so they can be from a process outside of Exchange but still controlled by your org and they will be considered external.

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Proposed as answer by Akampa Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by BrueNET Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:32 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 6:11 PM
  • Some have mentioned this is a best practice by the SAN org but I cannot locate that documentation.  Has anyone ran across that anywhere?  It would be nice to reference while implementation this best practice.
    Monday, March 6, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Have you find any solution so far?

I have seen that tagging external senders in the subject line is breaking outlook converstations. Two additional ways are to use custom notes (categorize with color) or custom flags (informative following up flags), however both of them cannot be configured massively to all the users and to identify external senders only.

Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 2:33 PM
  • Was there a solution to the request?  I tested the "Outside the organization" option and it didn't work for emails from internal servers, all stamped as External emails even though they are on the same domain and have receive connectors set up for them.

Also it would add External to the subject line but then even if I added an exception of if it has External already in the subject line to not add it again, it would add it again and again and again.

What is the solution for doing this?  I see companies sending us emails returned that they stamped as external from us successfully so I know it is being done, but not specifically accomplished for Exchange 2010.  Our server is 2010 R2 SP3

Thank you for any assistance or direction you can offer.

Zondra

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 12:08 AM
  • Was there a solution to the request?  I tested the "Outside the organization" option and it didn't work for emails from internal servers, all stamped as External emails even though they are on the same domain and have receive connectors set up for them.

Also it would add External to the subject line but then even if I added an exception of if it has External already in the subject line to not add it again, it would add it again and again and again.

What is the solution for doing this?  I see companies sending us emails returned that they stamped as external from us successfully so I know it is being done, but not specifically accomplished for Exchange 2010.  Our server is 2010 R2 SP3

Thank you for any assistance or direction you can offer.

Zondra

The "Organization" means exchange servers. To prevent it, you need to configure those internal servers to send their messages authenticated.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Have a look at TagExternal utilty.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Stacey - thanks for the response - works great.    Do you know if this works when they spoof the email to be an internal sender?    Sometimes I have to look at the header to tell it isn't really from the person it looks like it is from.   I don't know how to spoof an email or I'd test and let you know.

• Edited by boe_d Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:20 PM
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Hi BruNet,

Do you know how to create a nice box for the message / change colour and font? 

So far I've only managed to create a lousy black and white text... 

Friday, June 21, 2019 12:09 PM
  • I'm struggling with this particular rule also "Inside the organization" vs. "Outside the organization". When I test the rule from my domain email account to an external domain it thinks the external domain is part of the organization: it appends the disclaimer. You mentioned to configured internal servers to send their messages authenticated. Can you elaborate?
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:48 PM