none
Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library Runtime Error! When launching Adobe Acrobat Reader

Question

• Hi there,

- I have a windows server 2008 R2 enterprise x64 and i am running Terminal Services on it.
    - The only applications I have is Office 2007 SP2 and Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.2.
    - I have about 40 users using this server via RDP and none of them have encountered any issue so far apart from one particular, when she tries to launch adobe acrobat it crashes with folowing error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

In the windows error box i get the folowing when press to see more details:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: AcroRd32.exe
      Application Version: 9.2.0.124
      Application Timestamp: 4ac7307c
      Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll
      Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.4053
      Fault Module Timestamp: 4a594c79
      Exception Code: 40000015
      Exception Offset: 000046b4
      OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.18.10
      Locale ID: 2057
      Additional Information 1: 0c12
      Additional Information 2: b284cb66125c44ef77dbd896d08a5c84
      Additional Information 3: 1bb5
      Additional Information 4: 1758bd17ed74b4ddc1ee0bf79ddabf90

So far i have:

- Updated windows
    - Updated Adobe acrobat reader it was 8.x before now it is 9.2 and only this one user this issue.
    - removed the user appropriately from system profiles and logged in as same user (before and after the updates above)

*** NO other user is having this issue
    *** i DO NOT use roaming profiles or folder redirection
    *** i DO NOT use applocker

Any help is appreciated!

Pecora

A.I.
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:45 AM not VSTO-related (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:33 AM

Answers

• there you go, this is what i found:

Somehow Acrobat was crashing when launched, so after hours of forums i went for plug-ins, i start disabling one plugin at a time and guess what? One of them was making it crash!

After i renamed AI32.api on C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins\IA32.api the issue's gone away!

Apparently this plugin is the internet connector for acrobat, as i don't want any of my users updating the application i will leave it disabled.

Pecora

A.I.
    • Marked as answer by Hugo Pecora Friday, September 10, 2010 12:50 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:50 PM

All replies

• This post is not really in an appropriate forum and I would highly advise raising this with Adobe, this forum is for VSTO development. Please redirect your question to Adobe.
    Mike Walker MVP - Visual Developer VSTO - Please mark the best replies as Answers ! Owner and CTO FWBS Ltd http://www.fwbs.net Twitter: www.twitter.com/mikewalker74
    Friday, September 10, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I don't think this is an Adobe issue as on a server of 50+ users only one experiences the issue and they all use the same application.

Can you picture my conversation with Adobe? I've been there, done that.

Pecora

A.I.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I have just found out that if I hold down the SHIFT key and try to open the application it opens just fine! It also works while saving as PDF from Word, Excel and PPT, explain that?

Pecora

A.I.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 9:32 AM
  • I felt for you posting my reply, I have been there with two big companies MS and Adobe each not really caring about the other, main observation if it only fails one user, can you re-create the user profile it is possible it is crashing with some registry or caching settings that are causing some corruption.

Regards

Mike Walker MVP - Visual Developer VSTO - Please mark the best replies as Answers ! Owner and CTO FWBS Ltd http://www.fwbs.net Twitter: www.twitter.com/mikewalker74
    Friday, September 10, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Holding down shift will stop loading the startup templates in the \Program Files\Office\xx\Startup folder and others, this template may not be required depending on how you are using the adobe tools, I believe this code from Adobe was more in line with the Office 2003 version and maybe simple to rename if all of the other functionality that Adobe have is through their Addin in later releases not the Word Template.

Regards

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Clearly Adobe hasn't got a clue!

They posted many different "non-official" solutions for this and all of them are related to roaming profiles and folder redirection! Guess what?

I am not using folder redirection or roaming profiles! i am using standart local users on a terminal services.

I have done everything they say on folrums and nothing! The only I have is that when i hold down shift to launch acrobat reader it works perfectly!

I will keep on trying...

A.I.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 11:29 AM

Somehow Acrobat was crashing when launched, so after hours of forums i went for plug-ins, i start disabling one plugin at a time and guess what? One of them was making it crash!

After i renamed AI32.api on C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins\IA32.api the issue's gone away!

Apparently this plugin is the internet connector for acrobat, as i don't want any of my users updating the application i will leave it disabled.

Pecora

A.I.
    • Marked as answer by Hugo Pecora Friday, September 10, 2010 12:50 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:50 PM

Pecora

A.I.

Rob Brown
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:04 AM
  • We had same issue with Adobe reader for a few users.. Renaming 9.0 folder in Appdata in user profile fixed it. It was on Windows 7 clients though 

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:50 PM