none
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application in App servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed SP2016 with 2 fronts and 2 apps servers, when I create web application it also creating the site in the app and front servers. (in the IIS)

I also installed November 2017 CU, still the same result .

is it a normal ? 

I saw "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application " installed on the App server, and there is not an option to stop it.

need help with this issue,

Thanks

Lior

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:24 PM

Answers

• I believe this is due to servers being able to change roles.  In theory at a future point the app server could be redefined to be a web front end.  This also allows for consistency of IIS configurations across servers in the farm.
    • Marked as answer by Lior_Mac Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:04 AM

All replies

• Yes, it is normal.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Carl__Zhou Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Carl Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:08 AM
  • so all the web application will be create in the APP server also?

if yes, why? What is the reason behind this?

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:24 AM
  • I believe this is due to servers being able to change roles.  In theory at a future point the app server could be redefined to be a web front end.  This also allows for consistency of IIS configurations across servers in the farm.
    • Marked as answer by Lior_Mac Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:04 AM
  • No, the reason for creating them on App servers is to allow your Search crawlers to target the App servers instead of the FEs.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:53 PM