none
Audience Setup issues RRS feed

• Question

• We have the UPS set to import various Security/Distribution groups from AD and I'm trying to set a Web Part to only display for members of a Group that contains "New Employees" only.

This seems to be something that should be possible, however the Audience filtering does not actually work.  And if I edit the web part again, the audience field contains a garbled description of the AD group name and an error below.

CN=NewEmployees,OU=Distribution Groups,DC=XXXXXXXXXXXX,DC=com

No exact match was found. Click the item(s) that did not resolve for more options.

Obviously, I've put XXXXX is in place of the actual Domain - though I'm not sure why this is not working as desired?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:34 PM

Answers

• Ok, don't be fooled by thinking you can simply reference an AD Distro/Security Group right in the "Edit Web Part" Audience settings (even though it is able to find and even has a category for AD groups to use for this purpose).

I had to create an Audience in the Central Admin, and add to it users who are members of the AD Group - then use this as the Audience Filter for the Web Part.

Now all I need to figure out is why the Web Part has decided to suddenly disappear, even when logged in as the System Account...  I was told admin users would see Web Parts even if they are not explicitly in the Audiences used.

• Marked as answer by mdecap Monday, September 27, 2010 10:44 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 10:44 PM

All replies

• Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Ok, don't be fooled by thinking you can simply reference an AD Distro/Security Group right in the "Edit Web Part" Audience settings (even though it is able to find and even has a category for AD groups to use for this purpose).

I had to create an Audience in the Central Admin, and add to it users who are members of the AD Group - then use this as the Audience Filter for the Web Part.

Now all I need to figure out is why the Web Part has decided to suddenly disappear, even when logged in as the System Account...  I was told admin users would see Web Parts even if they are not explicitly in the Audiences used.

• Marked as answer by mdecap Monday, September 27, 2010 10:44 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 10:44 PM