none
OneNote 2010 sync issue in sharepoint 2016 site RRS feed

• Question

• onenote is not syncing coming up with below error 

Error:

OneNote cannot sync this notebook. An error occurred while communicating with the Web server where the notebook is stored. (Error code: 0xE000076E)

it is 2016 sharepoint site and OneNote 2010

• Edited by SravanC Saturday, August 3, 2019 5:41 AM
    Friday, August 2, 2019 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi SravanC,

I suggest the user can create a new OneNote file and copy the content from the original OneNote file to the new OneNote file. Then upload the new OneNote file into the document library.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:20 AM

All replies

• Try Clearing the OneNote Cache.

By default, the cache file is stored at C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0.

Cache file name: OneNoteOfflineCache.onecache
    Cache thicket folder name: OneNoteOfflineCache_Files

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, August 3, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Hi Sharath, 

Tried clearing the OneNote cache and did not work for the user.

Saturday, August 3, 2019 7:32 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

To troubleshoot the issue, check things below:

1. Reopen the OneNote file in document library by OneNote client application.

2. Turn off “Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?”. Go to library settings-> Versioning Settings->select “No” for “Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?”.

More reference:

Fix issues when you can't sync OneNote.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-onenote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, August 5, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for the response

it is already set to NO for the option " Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited"

can you give me exact details, like what is the meaning of  "Reopen the OneNote file in document library by OneNote client application".

Below is the screenshot of the onenote file from document library 

• Edited by SravanC Monday, August 5, 2019 7:46 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

You could open the OneNote file in the OneNote client application. It will generate the new cache for the OneNote file.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, August 5, 2019 9:45 AM
  • Hi Sara,

With help of below blog, I have suggested user couple of troubleshooting steps. 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-onenote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45 

Below are the responses from user for my questions: 

Question: clearing the cache from below path

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0

Answer: but user did not find documents and settings folder at all 

Question: 

Could you please verify once again, is it OneNote 2010 or OneNote online?

when I opened, it is opening with OneNote online.

Answer: I can’t open in OneNote 2010 or OneNote online.

Question: Create a new library in SharePoint site and create a new note book. Then Please verify syncing it

Answer:  I created a new file called “Jack Test” and was able to open in OneNote 2010 and sync

Question: is  anybody facing similar issue? 

Answer: Nobody else on the team is having the same problem

Question: I asked to copy the URL (from File-->Info-->Settings) and paste in the browser and verify 

Answer: he is able to verify 

Question:  and suggested to close notebook from settings and open it form web 

Answer: he could do it close and reopen the book successfully  

so what could be the cause. Please help 

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:48 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

I suppose the issue occurs in the original OneNote file, because it can work fine when the user creates a new OneNote file.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Okay. so now what action we can take here towards resolving the issue..

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

I suggest the user can create a new OneNote file and copy the content from the original OneNote file to the new OneNote file. Then upload the new OneNote file into the document library.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Okay.

I will address the same..  

you mean create a new notebook and then copy old to new? 

Could you tell me why he is not able to view "Documents and settings" Folder in C drive? 

After he took the new PC he is facing the issue..why he is facing the issue? 

• Edited by SravanC Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

Yes, I mean create a new notebook and then copy old to new.

And the Documents and Settings folder has become the "Users" folder, it should be

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\15.0

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:47 AM
  • Hi Sara,

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\15.0 this is for 2016 sp right?

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0 this is for 2010 SP right? 

• Edited by SravanC Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

Yes, you are right.

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:23 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly. 

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, August 9, 2019 7:46 AM