none
Does Project 2010 include multi-currency support? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if Project 2010 supports multiple currency usage within a project

This was, I think, provided in earlier versions via a 'Euro Converter' plug-in but was dropped in 2007 due to problems with dependencies on the external plug-in.

Without me installing the beta and trying to discover this the hard way I wonder if anyone has the answer please?  None of the headline documents about the release that I have found mention this function, so I'm not optimistic...

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

There is no option to select more than one currency in 2010.  I've not heard of any add-in that might be able to do this.  So, unless anyone knows better, I think you're out of luck Sad smile emoticon

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

"YetAnotherSKP" wrote in message news:12313cf8-9909-449a-a7d5-8fb4034b6a4c...
    Does anyone know if Project 2010 supports multiple currency usage within a project

This was, I think, provided in earlier versions via a 'Euro Converter' plug-in but was dropped in 2007 due to problems with dependencies on the external plug-in.

Without me installing the beta and trying to discover this the hard way I wonder if anyone has the answer please?  None of the headline documents about the release that I have found mention this function, so I'm not optimistic...

Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by YetAnotherSKP Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:44 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

There is no option to select more than one currency in 2010.  I've not heard of any add-in that might be able to do this.  So, unless anyone knows better, I think you're out of luck Sad smile emoticon

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP

"YetAnotherSKP" wrote in message news:12313cf8-9909-449a-a7d5-8fb4034b6a4c...
    Does anyone know if Project 2010 supports multiple currency usage within a project

Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by YetAnotherSKP Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Hi ,

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP

Thank you for the swift answer.

This is a big issue in respect of an exercise to select an enterprise tool in this area for the company I work for, and it is therefore not looking good for Project.  I must be missing something because I do not see how hard it should be to incorporate such support in what is sold as an enterprise tool.  [sigh]

Thanks again.  I'll keep hoping though...
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Hmmmm.  Project is an Enterprise Project Management program designed to help you create a schedule of tasks and dates to complete the project.  It does have some simple costing mechanisms and is certainly not an accounting program.  When multiple types of units are concerned, like currency, language and international times, Project allows you to select only one of these. I believe it would be beyond the terms of reference of such a package to allow different times and different currencies scatterable throughout the package.  You just have to pick one and manage round it.  As for currencies in particular, you could use one of the free fields to create a conversion factor to give you the answers.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

"YetAnotherSKP" wrote in message news:9f3ac59c-3efe-496c-8b8e-04c42aa515c0...
    Hi ,

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP

Thank you for the swift answer.

This is a big issue in respect of an exercise to select an enterprise tool in this area for the company I work for, and it is therefore not looking good for Project.  I must be missing something because I do not see how hard it should be to incorporate such support in what is sold as an enterprise tool.  [sigh]

Thanks again.  I'll keep hoping though...
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Thanks.

I appreciate Project is not an accounting tool, but the blurb for the product does talk about budgetting etc. which acknowledges some functionality regarding costs.  The issue I have is just how "simple" the cost implementation in the product is.

The requirements here are for projects that involve resources, both variable and fixed costs, across currency boundaries (for example a project team split across the US and Europe).  Acceptance of whatever product is selected needs to be across the board, and telling one group that they need to work in a foreign currency isn't perfect.  I appreciate that this may be simply asking too much of what Project is designed for, but that's part of the requirements I'm faced with meeting, and the assessment is whether what Project is designed for meets our needs.

I've played around using free fields with conversion factors and for many areas it is workable, but in others (in 2007 anyway) the implementation of this varies in quality depending on the view.  A formula in a column that works in one view simply doesn't in another view.  I'm still working on it, because even if the required capabilities are only there through workarounds, they are still there and the assessment needs to note that.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I needed "different currencies scatterable throughout the package", just the ability for people to deal with cost figures in their working currency.

Thanks again for your input.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:40 PM
  • You're welcome,  Smile emoticon Thanks for the feedback, but I have nothing to add.  Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See  http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

"YetAnotherSKP" wrote in message news:6681f8f2-5bb6-4692-84aa-ad014a91aa7c...
    Thanks.

I appreciate Project is not an accounting tool, but the blurb for the product does talk about budgetting etc. which acknowledges some functionality regarding costs.  The issue I have is just how "simple" the cost implementation in the product is.

The requirements here are for projects that involve resources, both variable and fixed costs, across currency boundaries (for example a project team split across the US and Europe).  Acceptance of whatever product is selected needs to be across the board, and telling one group that they need to work in a foreign currency isn't perfect.  I appreciate that this may be simply asking too much of what Project is designed for, but that's part of the requirements I'm faced with meeting, and the assessment is whether what Project is designed for meets our needs.

I've played around using free fields with conversion factors and for many areas it is workable, but in others (in 2007 anyway) the implementation of this varies in quality depending on the view.  A formula in a column that works in one view simply doesn't in another view.  I'm still working on it, because even if the required capabilities are only there through workarounds, they are still there and the assessment needs to note that.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I needed "different currencies scatterable throughout the package", just the ability for people to deal with cost figures in their working currency.

Thanks again for your input.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:46 PM