none
Excel 2010 "Cannot Insert Object" when LINKING to a file on a shared volume.

Question

• Office Version:Office 2010                         Operating System:Windows XP

If we go to "insert" -> "object" -> "create from file" -> "browse" -> Select a pdf file etc -> Check "link to file" -> Check "display as icon" -> Click OK

We get the error "Cannot insert object".

What I've confirmed so far:

• If we do not check "link to file" the error does not occur
    • If we "link to a file" on a users local computer the error does not occur
    • If we do the same thing in excel 2003 it works every time regardless of what options we choose.

The error only happens under the following conditions:

• When we "link to file" that is on our file server with excel 2010

Every other scenario works fine.  It is isolated to when we run excel 2010 and try to insert an object that is on our file server, which is odd because it works when we do the same exact steps in excel 2003.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hi D_IT_GUY

Everything you describe should work, 2010 should not be behaving differently than 2003, and I can't repro the issue in my environment.  It looks like you will need to open a case with Microsoft Support so we can help troubleshoot the problem in more detail.

Sorry we couldn't get it resolved in the forum.

Thanks

Ryan

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi D_IT_GUY

Everything you describe should work, 2010 should not be behaving differently than 2003, and I can't repro the issue in my environment.  It looks like you will need to open a case with Microsoft Support so we can help troubleshoot the problem in more detail.

Sorry we couldn't get it resolved in the forum.

Thanks

Ryan

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello I've the same problem using W7 and Office 2010.

What I've confirmed some difference with D_IT_GUY comments.

• If we do not check "link to file" the error APPEND
    • If we "link to a file" on a users local computer the error APPEND
    • When we "link to file" that is on our file server or local file. with excel 2010

It is not isolated case, We have min 4 NB with the same situation and other working propely.

Thank you in advance for your answer.
    enrique-cristian.montel-de-la-roche@hp.com

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:57 AM
  • I still can't repro in my environment, so it is probably one of two things.  Either the document(s) you are trying to embed are having problems being read by Excel, or the more likely issue is there is an add-in interferring.  I see you have an add-in tab in your ribbon, I'd suggest uninstalling all add-ins and testing.

Please remember to mark this as "answer" if it resolves/answers your issue.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:23 PM
    Answerer