none
Where are the auto recovery files stored for Visio 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I have auto recovery set for every 5 minutes.  I have been working on a file that has been saved several times a day.  Today when just moving a shape Viso 2010 crashed after I had been working on the file for over 2 hours.  Auto recovery popped up every 5 minutes indicating it was saving the file.  After the crash the ony file I could find was the file as it was when I first opened it this AM.  None of the work done today was saved. 

Did auto recovery completely fail?  Where can I look for the auto recovery file? 

I have not done a reboot because I am afraid that if the file exits it will be gone for sure if I reboot.  Any suggestions are welcome.

There must be a temp file or something that I can look for but not sure what the extension would be or the location.

Hopefully someone here can help.

thanks,

greg

Greg J Wilson

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:35 PM

Answers

• were you able to find the AppData directory? Normally that's one of the hidden ones that has to be turned on explicitly under Folder options to be visible. In any case it shows up on mine.

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP

Hi,

Yes, I had my folder view options set to show everything.  I did finally find the solution.  On my system there is no autorecover11.ini or any other autorecover.* file so I decided to do a search for all files modified on 7/25/11 and I found several files in sequence called (and I am guessing at the name because i didn't write it down) vob<number>.vxd.  Each of these files was one of the "saves" done by the auto save function.  Since they have the proper Visio extension they open properly and are complete and fully functional unlike some sort of backup file that you can't really do anything with.  So I was able to restore to wihin 2 or 3 changes - saved 3 weeks of work!

The question now is why didn't Visio offer up the files for recovery?  They are clearly the files created by auto save/recovery but there was no way to know they were even available - there is no way to force the application to show the possible recovery files.  The fatal error/ application crash is shown in the event viewer and the application gave a error message that it had crashed so I don't understand why auto recovery is not working - it used to work.

I also notice that my "Recent" list in Visio 2010 is not showing the recently opened files.  The list shows 9 documents but is not adding the latest document and removing the one at the bottom of the list.  It seems to be stuck and is not refreshing - I wonder if it is all part of the same problem.

In any event I consider the application to be unreliable with very poor help files and support.  I have not installed any applications since installing Visio 2010 except the service pack for office 2010 - $20 says the service pack is the problem.

Greg J Wilson
    • Marked as answer by gwilson001 Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:47 PM

All replies

• Have a look in

C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Visio

you will see a file called

AutoRecover11.ini

Look at this file with Notepad or similar, it will contain the names of the current files handled by autorecover.

To see the files in Explorer etc you'll need to make system files visible.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ Engineering and software shapes for Visio.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Gould Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:00 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Have a look in

C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Visio

you will see a file called

AutoRecover11.ini

Look at this file with Notepad or similar, it will contain the names of the current files handled by autorecover.

To see the files in Explorer etc you'll need to make system files visible.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ Engineering and software shapes for Visio.

Thanks Paul,

If only things worked as they should... I have searched every drive attached to my computer and have not found autorecover11.ini.  I have "view system files" enabled.  I have had auto recover documents show up recently even in Visio 2010 but for what ever reason - even with the auto save message flashing every 5 minutes, there are no files to recover. 

This should not happen, I was not running multiple apps or even a browser, I have 8 GB ram and a 3.2GHz processor so system resources are not an issue.  I have noticed a lot of little things with Visio 2010 that seem to be buggy but there is no excuse for this sort of thing - the damn application should have some version of the file for me to recover but there is no way for me to even tell the application to look for a recovery version.  Usually when Visio 2010 crashes, as it does rather frequently, the recovered file opens automatically when I launch the application after a restart.  This time I lost a days work - and I had manually saved at least 3 times before the crash.

Any other suggestions?  I'm ready to junk every MS application I have including the OS.

Greg J Wilson
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:23 AM
  • were you able to find the AppData directory? Normally that's one of the hidden ones that has to be turned on explicitly under Folder options to be visible. In any case it shows up on mine.

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:50 PM

al

Hi,

Yes, I had my folder view options set to show everything.  I did finally find the solution.  On my system there is no autorecover11.ini or any other autorecover.* file so I decided to do a search for all files modified on 7/25/11 and I found several files in sequence called (and I am guessing at the name because i didn't write it down) vob<number>.vxd.  Each of these files was one of the "saves" done by the auto save function.  Since they have the proper Visio extension they open properly and are complete and fully functional unlike some sort of backup file that you can't really do anything with.  So I was able to restore to wihin 2 or 3 changes - saved 3 weeks of work!

The question now is why didn't Visio offer up the files for recovery?  They are clearly the files created by auto save/recovery but there was no way to know they were even available - there is no way to force the application to show the possible recovery files.  The fatal error/ application crash is shown in the event viewer and the application gave a error message that it had crashed so I don't understand why auto recovery is not working - it used to work.

I also notice that my "Recent" list in Visio 2010 is not showing the recently opened files.  The list shows 9 documents but is not adding the latest document and removing the one at the bottom of the list.  It seems to be stuck and is not refreshing - I wonder if it is all part of the same problem.

In any event I consider the application to be unreliable with very poor help files and support.  I have not installed any applications since installing Visio 2010 except the service pack for office 2010 - $20 says the service pack is the problem.

Greg J Wilson
    • Marked as answer by gwilson001 Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:47 PM
  • You might be better off finding out what causes the crashes, Visio 2010 should be very stable. What are you doing when the crash occurs?

It also appears that you have the default save format set to XML, might be worth changing to Visio format to see if that makes a difference. The auto-save XML files might very well be stored somewhere different.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:59 PM
  • You might be better off finding out what causes the crashes, Visio 2010 should be very stable. What are you doing when the crash occurs?

It also appears that you have the default save format set to XML, might be worth changing to Visio format to see if that makes a difference. The auto-save XML files might very well be stored somewhere different.

Hi,

Typically it crashes doing the most simple tasks such as moving a shape.  There does not seem to be any pattern to the crashes.  Just to be clear, I do not have crashes on a regular basis - they are random and do not happen all the time.  I normally have no other apps open except a browser and maybe Outlook and Word.

As for the default save format - how can you tell that my files are saved as .xml files?  The files that I found when I was looking for the recovery files were all in the standard Visio extension.  Can you shed more light on why you believe my files are saved in .xml?  I can find no evidence of this on my machine but maybe you can show me a little more about this.

Thanks,

greg

Greg J Wilson
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:08 PM
  • How do I know? You state the the auto-save file extension is .vxd - that's the Visio document XML format.

You can change this in File -> Options -> Save

As for the crashes, are there any messages when a crash occurs?

Check that the video drivers you have are the latest, try a different screen resolution to see if that changes anything and turn off or change any screen accelerators.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:25 PM
  • How do I know? You state the the auto-save file extension is .vxd - that's the Visio document XML format.

You can change this in File -> Options -> Save

As for the crashes, are there any messages when a crash occurs?

Check that the video drivers you have are the latest, try a different screen resolution to see if that changes anything and turn off or change any screen accelerators.

My mistake - the file format is .vsd - standard visio format

Here is the info from the event viewer for the specific crash that caused me temporary pain.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-07-25T17:15:25.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>83552</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>gw-Tosh_laptop</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>VISIO.EXE</Data>
    <Data>14.0.6022.1000</Data>
    <Data>4d6eacd6</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>8469f91f</Data>
    <Data>1668</Data>
    <Data>01cc4ae02611b81c</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\VISIO.EXE</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>af70a4ff-b6e1-11e0-82fc-001e33913568</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Greg J Wilson
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:42 PM
  • That info may give someone a chance to tell you what is causing the crash.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:51 PM
  • I followed the instructions here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio-help/my-office-program-did-not-open-a-recovered-file-HA010157885.aspx#BM13 where it advises to enter in the file > open dialog "%temp%\*.vsd".  This yielded all my autosave files (Visio 2010).

Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Hi, I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I found the AppData directory, but there was nothing in the folder. I also did a date modified search and found a folder named AppCrash_VISIO.EXE_d37c9cedd74d9cd770f31e763e446a99656685_0583db93, but it is empty. Does this mean that my file wasn't recovered? Please help! I've possibly lost three days' worth of work.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 9:24 PM
  • My temp files get placed in one of the two following directories

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp\

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp\1\

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:38 PM
  • OK, thought I'd quickly write this up.

I'd spent weeks saving a Visio file to a USB drive when it corrupted, code 128 when trying to open the file.

I used a program called GetDataBack, and recovered deleted files.

In the lost file folder was a file that ended strangely with a .doc, but on opening with word I recognised some of the texts. So I changed the extension to .vsd and opened in Visio. It actually was the file I wanted. Amazing

I dont know, maybe this will help someone...

Kev

Monday, June 8, 2015 9:11 PM
  • These will help.

When you have autosave activated, Visio will save the files in this dir: C:\Users\"your user"\AppData\Local\Temp.

And the files will have a name like this one:VSO6291.vsdm.

Search for date and you will find them. 

Monday, March 28, 2016 3:22 PM
  • lifesaver, guys

You saved me a couple hours of potentially lost work.

Thanks!

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Thanks Paul!

Your information saved me redoing a few hours of work.  I found the file in C:\Users\Carl\AppData\Local\Temp.  I also wondered why Visio did not offer to restore the file as Word always does when it crashes.

As an aside, I have found Visio Pro 2010 to be anything BUT stable.   It crashes constantly.  I have had it installed on several different computers under windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10.  These have all been clean installs not upgrades.  It has always been flaky. if I close the program without saving first, 99% of the time it crashes.  (I know, that's a lazy man's way, but I've never had any problems with any other programs).  If I save first and then close the program, it almost never crashes.  One would think that by now Micro$oft would have come up with a patch to fix this sort of thing.  But then again it IS Microshaft and their solution is of course, buy the NEW version.

Thanks again Paul.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

I thought I would share my frustration ...

Using VISIO 2016, autorecover on (3 minutes), Visio crashed, no autorecovery found on any of the mentioned spots. (by the way fganter: You are right: Visio is fantastic, but it's last name is Crash)

I have the same problem with Autodesk Inventor and found the reason: DROPBOX. When you work in dropbox, many files are synchronised, and collisions happen. I will work on the viso file outside dropbox, and keep you informed.

Lost a day (in total, because Visio 2016 crashed on me 5 times)

Regards

Johan

Sunday, July 10, 2016 4:56 PM
  • I realize this is an old post, but I think this is worth mentioning.  If you are asking where the recovery files are because you lost a file while editing in Visio, please note.  Visio will recover the file for you, BUT you must close ALL instances of Visio FIRST.

Once you have closed EVERY instance of Visio, restart it and it will recover your file by itself.  That is my experience.  Good Luck.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:59 PM
  • António Simões Thank you! This worked perfectly for me using Visio 2016.
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:00 PM